electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Panasonic RV32 and H07

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baumgrenze

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Panasonic RV32 and H07 Reply with quote

I searched "Panasonic RV32 and H07" in Google and was directed to a 'tutorial' which shows how to lubricate the spindle bearing, but on the PR62 and not the RV32. Here is the URL:

http://www.elektr0n.com/dwm/doku.php?id=how_to_fix_the_h07_ho7_error_on_your_panasonic_dvd_player

Let me add the particulars on our machine:

SN = VA21A032601
Manufactured: 09/02

I managed to remove the 4 not 2 screws holding down the drive unit, I pulled the ribbon cable and the power cable using a small hemostat, and now I am stuck. The unit does not lift out 'as advertised.' I get the impression that to get to the spindle bearing I need access to the bottom of the drive unit.

I then downloaded the manual and worked out how to page through it using FireFox. I see that I could quickly get into deep water regarding the optical pickup unit and static electricity.

I have some ultrafine oil (my former barber sold me a bottle of clipper oil for my clippers) and fine syringes for getting oil where it is needed.

I have observed that the disk mechanism turns freely, from the perspective accessible with the drive unit still in its installed orientation.

Could the h07 code be from some other overheat problem. Am I chasing a will-o-the-wisp?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

baumgrenze
vtech

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been out of consumer electronics for some time...I used to see this problem on a regular bases and replaced many many spindle motors on several Panasonic models that used the Exact mechanism. The HO7 error code basically indicates a spindle servo problem. meaning that it is either not turning or turning very slow--it may be anything from a binding &/or burned up motor all the way to it's driver IC.
I can tell you that in my experience, depending on the amount of use on the motor, chances of "lubricating" the motor shaft was not a real success. --sooner or later you had to change the motor and in more than 85 percent of the time the driver IC had to also be replaced (surface mount BA6328 which sits on the underneath PCB).

Basically the whole problem starts with the arcing spindle motor that was a weakling design to begin with (wonder why the replacement had a different number? it was mainly beefed-up) the eventual arcing of the spindle motor would damage it's tiny armature and in turn the driver IC. (at times, it would melt parts inside the motor) Occasionally, you may get a binding shaft which lubricating it may buy you some time but I never had much success. Sometimes you may have just a damaged driver(again caused by an arcing motor) and while replacing it may temporarily fix the problem, it would be a matter of time. The bit about the static is pretty much standard precaution. The best way to tell for sure is to isolate one leg of the motor from it's pcb and apply an external DC to check it's operation. You could also call up the hours of use by means of front panel display that will give you some idea about the condition (it is in the svc manual)
If you are going to try the lubrication, it is not necessary to take it all apart. you can apply a tiny amount to the shaft underneath the spindle table an allow it to work it's way down. the spindle platter should be able to spin freely by hand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you vtech for a thoughtful, if discouraging reply.

I screwed down the player unit and attached the power and ribbon cables again and quickly established that I'd done no harm, nor any good.

I did check the spindle and laser operation time display. Here are my results:

T1 0056 0762
T2 0819

Unfortunately, the values mean nothing to me. The manual says that 0123 = 10 hours. How do you explain that to someone who is over 70?

I am disappointed to learn from others on the avs forum that my Panasonic was well designed relative to current products, especially when it comes to reading damaged discs and navigating discs.

"Tear"

Thanks again,

baumgrenze
baumgrenze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Just to Tie Things Up Reply with quote

Today I found another post here on this topic.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/140317.html

On 6/6/05, Stof pointed the OP to the 'tutorial' I mention above.

A thread ensues with many interloping posts. On 5/26/06, this post appeared:

Ken Bokman
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 09:44 pm:
I used the link with the repair photos to fix my Dvd Player so at least it will play again for a while. My experience was abit different though. First, by leaving the tray out before going inside I was able to remove the Laser cover straight off without having to unscrew anything, it was tricky but released easily from the right side after sliding it back (with the back of the unit facing me) and I had to finagle the left side out by raising the right side and swinging it forward alittle and reversing this process to put it back. I was then able to lubricate everything (Silicone sprayed into a cap and applied with Q-tips so there was no chance of overspray) including the rails, gears and of course the motor. Getting the tray back to its exact position was tricky, I shouldn't have moved it at all. I finally got it by using the picture from the link and carefully sliding it fully back in, keeping the backside raised so the gears did not move and then moving the gears pointed tab slightly this way and that until the tray sat flat. Thanks to Stof for the link it is much appreciated.

I went back to my machine, opened the tray, pulled the plug (the tray stays open) and found access to the works of the drive much easier. With a syringe I could get to the main shaft. I oiled it with a drop or two of hair clipper oil (very light), waited 30 minutes, plugged it back in and tried a CD again. Mine still reports H07 Sad

Using the codes in the manual I find that it reports 8190 hours of spindle motor operation time, 560 hours of DVD laser operation time, and 7620 hours of CD laser operation time. Perhaps that is a lifetime?

In STOP mode, in you push PAUSE + FWD SKIP on the main unit and 5 on the remote it reports the laser operation times, DVD then CD. If you use the same sequence with a 6 on the remote it reports the spindle motor time. All the times need to be multiplied by 10 to be read in hours of operation.

I hope this helps someone else.

baumgrenze
vtech

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct as far as the time information. The 7620 hr is not a lifetime. I have seen it for much longer but I have seen it for less too. Based on your description, it is more than likely a need for both the motor AND the driver IC. Only thing is that even if you went that route, you'd still need proper tools for final pickup tangential adjustment--all and all not worth the trouble.
baumgrenze

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you vtech for taking the time to clarify this. If I knew a local tech that I trusted (and assuming we could still find the drive/board combination) with a direct drive motor I might be tempted to restore it.

I've seen OPPO given high marks for quality. Do their machines offer the same kind of track/time readout and ease of track/time navigation we have come to love and expect?

Thanks for your patience with me.

baumgrenze
vtech

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard about OPPO but do not have any experience with them or who actually makes it?(back panel layout is very similar to a Matsushita/Panasonic product?). Seemed like it was more geared toward the "videophile" crowd and priced accordingly. Personally, I have never been a fan of super duper consumer electronics but it does appear to be a quality, full-feature product.
baumgrenze

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for more input, vtech.

We tend to think similarly when it comes to *phile products. My current speaker wire is #12 low voltage outdoor lighting hookup wire from HD. I did buy some gold plated terminal hardware, but it was the cheapest I could find from monoprice.com, e.g.,

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042503&p_id=3538&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=2

Our TV is fed from an Archer U75R we bought in 1989. It works fine as long as the program you want is still being broadcase OTA.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103088&cp=2032057.2032187.2032189.2032205&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FTV+boom+antennas&fbc=1&parentPage=family&fbn=Type%2FTV+boom+antennas&tab=features

Just for the record, perhaps I will look at some of the OPPO literature on the website. If I'm considering used equipment from craigslist I guess I should at least be equipped to check the hours of useage on the lasers and spindle motor, assuming the seller has not learned how to reset the values.

Thanks again,

baumgrenze
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия