electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Interlude IL60
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrevorPearman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Interlude IL60 Reply with quote

In case anybody cares

Fixed my Interlude IL60. Both sub-woofers died within about three months of each other

Problem traced to R509 (100k 1/2W resistor) in the BASH power supply board.

In both subs, this resistor had gone open circuit. Replacing restored normal operation. Replaced with 1W instead of 1/2W resistors. I suspect they are underated.
duc91696

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: IL60 fix Reply with quote

I have been looking for an answer to this problem for a while now; both of my subs have not been working for years. The Infinity repair shops want an arm and a leg to fix, just about what I paid for them. There are not many forums discussing this particular problem. Could you elaborate a little bit more on this fix? I am a fairly technical person and do not mind trying it myself. Any assistance would be appreciated.
TrevorPearman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R509 can be seen in the power supply schematic in grid C6, page 36.

You can get the manual from http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Service%20Manual/IL60%20sm.pdf

Track that down on the power supply board and measure with a meter. I found it to be open circuit on both speakers (quite a coincedence).

-- Trevor
Heliocentrik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: IL60 - no power on sub Reply with quote

Thanks to Trevor Pearman for helping me identify this problem and suggesting a fix. I had the exact same problem, and in the service manual he references, the suggested diagnosis passed (MOSFETS and other resistors). But, in checking the R509 on the power PCB, it was an open circuit as well. Just replaced this afternoon, and is now working! Thank you Trevor and thank you Internet!
ereodsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know where you can purchase the R509 replacement resistor?
jts1957

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digikey, Mouser. Radio Shack may have to order.
inthehunt2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jts1957 wrote:
Digikey, Mouser. Radio Shack may have to order.

I love my Infinities!

I've had the same problem. Attached are a few pics to help you locate the little devil...

Pic of the circuit board assembly...

Pic of the the culprit (resistor)...

inthehunt2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For further information....

I replaced the suspect resistor with a 100K 1W and voila! the subwoofer came back to life!

The part designator R509 is under the bloody resistor so you can't confirm it until you take it off the circuit board. I hope my pics will help those in the future that need to do this repair.

The clues that this is the culprit are the following:
1 - The "bass volume" control on the front face that normally glows red (when not in use) and green (when in use) fails to glow aeither color.
2 - The subwoofer fails to work.

Always check the fuse on the back panel of the speaker before you go any further. If the fuse is good, then it's probably this resistor.

All is well on my Infinity's after making the repair. It's sad that such a high quality speaker system can become a victim of a $1.59 part...
xyz111

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the help Reply with quote

I had the same problem so I contacted a local speaker repair shop. To say that they were less than encouraging would be an understatement. I was not enthusiastic about having to put in a total of 4 hours of drive time (for two round trips), lugging around one of these 75 pound speakers, with little hope that the problem was even going to be solved.

Your help was invaluable. The pictures form inthehunt2 were great, especially since that link for the schematics doesn't work anymore. Also thanks to inthehunt2 for suggesting to go to a 1 W resistor. I checked the resistor in my speaker and it was open circuit. I picked up a couple from a local electronics supply store and replaced it. Now the subwoofer works again.

Does anyone know if the schematics for the speaker circuitry are still available online someplace?
jts1957

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try:

http://elektrotanya.com/infinity_il60.pdf/download.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия