electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Ti-86 Calculator Screen Horiz missing lines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noveltone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Ti-86 Calculator Screen Horiz missing lines Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have a 10-year old TI-86 graphing calculator that is having some screen malfunctions. It's an LCD screen. There is one constant and one intermittent horizontal line of pixels that are failing to show any reaction. The malfuncioning lines run the full width of the screen. For example, a number uses seven horizontal lines to display, but if a number happens to show up over a malfunctioning pixel line, only six of the number's seven pixels will work.

I am suspecting a bad solder joint somewhere in the screen connection. I haven't opened it up yet to reflow the joints, but I am hoping someone else out there has looked into this problem before. Any other ideas? I hope the screen itself isn't broken. Thanks

Sincerely,

Collin
Tan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Ti - 86 Reply with quote

Hi I got a problem with Ti-86 which is a line of the screen pixel missing. I tried to increase and decrease the intensity of the screen. Also tried to go to MODE function. I tried that for several times. It works. The line of those screen pixel came back. I don't know why. Just try it.
timati

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: the missing screen line problem Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have the same problem of missing screen lines in my TI-86. Does anyone know to what this problem could be related to? Is it a hardware malfunction or something that can be fixed without opening and soldering it?

Please help!
ab8ru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: TI-89 issues Reply with quote

Could be ..............

Cold Solder joint

LCD going bad

if Bad LCD you may attempt to contact TI for price on a replacement also ask if there is a Service manual to check out the voltages and any Oscilloscope data.

unless they are doing propietary repair Shocked
Acredited Ham V.E.

Want to be a Electronics Engineer ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: TI-89 issues Reply with quote

ab8ru wrote:
Could be ..............

Cold Solder joint

LCD going bad

if Bad LCD you may attempt to contact TI for price on a replacement also ask if there is a Service manual to check out the voltages and any Oscilloscope data.

unless they are doing propietary repair Shocked

Thanks for the reply!
I've contacted them after doing a hard reset, because the problem still persisted. They said that it is "a pixel issue which is not fixable if the calculator is no longer in warranty, because we do not repair calculators." Hardware problem, unfortunately.

Too bad! Sad
iamdenteddisk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: ti86 horizontal lines in the display Reply with quote

mine did it and here is the fix,

the problem was caused by the foil shielding inside the calculator was shorting the traces and chip pins.
1) open the case by removing the bottom screws and the screw near the backup battery and then remove the battery's. there are three sets of case snaps the middle on each side and an inch from top and bottom on both sides slip a flat screwdriver in the cover slots at the widest point and twist, "give it a little presure" but dont crack the case.
2) I folded three little squares of paper "the size of the board" and place them between the board and foil.
3) reassemble the calc and put the battry's and screws back.

this solved my problem hope it works for you!
kurtmckee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@iamdenteddisk, what type of screw does the TI-86 use at the bottom of the case? It looks like a Torx 6, but the bits I currently have are too thick and short to fit into the plastic hole, so I'd like to confirm the screw type before buying a driver for it.
kurtmckee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@aaroncorey: I'm having trouble opening the calculator because I can't identify the type of screws that are used at the very bottom of the case. What kind of screw driver did you use to remove them? They look like Torx screws, but I can't tell what size and I'd like to know before I go and buy a new driver or set.
jts1957

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you hadn't noticed, aaroncorey is an expert at "cutting & pasting."
iamdenteddisk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: ti86 case screws Reply with quote

the only screws to deal with are

2 bottom case phillips head screws. that may be different in other versions Im not sure

then the 1 memory battery phillips screw.

then slide thumbnail up the slit on the sides to uncatch the keeper tabs all around the perimiter of the calc..
a tool could be used for this but it may scratch the calc if you slipped..
the tabs are plasctic hooks that catch the bevel edge of the back cover.
if you break them you get a calc that 1 wont stay closed or has to be taped or glued and that ruins the look and value..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия