electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Sony ZS-S2ip boombox no sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Sony ZS-S2ip boombox no sound Reply with quote

Hello

I have a sony zs-s2ip boombox that has no sound output at all. I tried all the functions ipod, radio and cd and none of these will output sound. I plugged in headphones and I get no sound either just a faint buzz. It appears this problem is common as I saw someone on amazon complain of the same problem with this equipment. What tools can I use to diagnose this? How can I diagnose this problem? Your help is appreciated. Thanks
jts1957

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such an off-beat user name of "Guest," NO means to get to a user profile, No email address in body of post, I'd suspect the probabili
ty of you receiving any response is nil (unless it's not).
I_Daniel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Boombox Reply with quote

If you have played it at continuous full volume you can expect a blown final amplifier or speaker.

You need a VOM (volt meter) and an audio signal tracer.
1. check voltage. before and after the on/off switch. If non check the
power supply or batteries.
2. start at the volume control and check for audio with the signal tracer.
3. if no signal trace the wiring to the pre-amplifier and check for audio on
the output if non check on the input.
4. If there is sound at the volume control then check for sound at the power amp input. If okay check the output from the power amp. if OK then your speaker wires are either loose or the speaker is bye-bye. You can disconnect one speaker wire and check with the Ohm meter. You should get a very low Ohm reading anything from 1.5 Ohm to 10 Ohm. If no reading then the speaker is definitely broken
You must also check the voltage at each stage.
If there is an external battery connector then this sometimes remains open once you disconnect the external supply, so check this as well.
I_Daniel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Boombox Reply with quote

Another point. If you have a small radio/amplifier with an Aux input you can use it as a signal tracer. Make up a cable - A crocodile clip for earth and a probe, such as that of the volt meter, for the other wire.
I_Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Sony BoomBox Reply with quote

Sorry I did not read the original post fully.
Since there is a hiss on the speaker the final amp and the speakers are okay.
On another forum I gave the same advice but it turned out to be the volume control was open o.o.o and needed to be replaced.
But also check the switches to change from CD/cassette/Radio etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия