electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
60 inch Zenith projection tv starting to blurr out, Fix or ?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: 60 inch Zenith projection tv starting to blurr out, Fix or ? Reply with quote

Nine year old 60 inch projecton tv starting to blurr out. Better to fix or go shopping?
StarBaseONE2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Couple of quick checks... Reply with quote

First I would physically look into the picture guns. Powered down of course. You are looking for a milky-yellow colored type of crystalizing. If it is present probably shopping is the answer. Because this is indictive of coolant break down in the guns themselves (might could be restored by a tech but definitely not a novice repair). If this is not the case...
There will be a focus block somewhere in your set. It will be located in between the the voltage tripler and the three picture guns (follow the wires).
Now with the set powered down. Carefully mark your starting points before adjusting anything as this block will usaully have 6 adjustments on it 3 are picture gun drive levels and 3 are focusing adjustments. Now power your set back up placing a program guide or other typed font on the screen to more readily observe results, and then using plastic screwdriver (or something NOT CONDUCTIVE) adjust these settings to focus (I use a mirror to observe the results without having to get up and go around to the front). WHEN MESSING AROUND IN THIS AREA BE CAREFUL AS IT IS A "HIGH VOLTAGE CIRCUIT" Good luck
Atom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 60 inch Zenith projection tv starting to blurr out, Fix Reply with quote

RJ wrote:
Nine year old 60 inch projecton tv starting to blurr out. Better to fix or go shopping?

A fluid change job shouldn't be more than 300 bucks or so, our shop used to charge about $200/250, I've done many of them. The question is, how long will it last before something else goes that will require another rather costly repair. This is unknown but, chances are you may get a couple more years out of it before something else goes. After about 10 years things start going wrong more often, so it's a gamble. If you've got the money to spare I would go new, if not you may want to gamble... you may decide to have the fluid changed and get 5 more years out of it, who knows? If the shop wants to change the crt's, then it won't be worth it ... they're too expensive. But if you can get a cooling fluid change for around $300.00, you may want to go for it.

BTW, I would not mess with the focus/screen adjustments if I were you. You'll only make it worse, and it's quite likely that that's not the solution anyway.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия