electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Sony Crt TV in need of minor convergence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Sony Crt TV in need of minor convergence Reply with quote

Hi All,

New to the forum but experienced with analog audio repairs.

I have 10 -15 yr old sony KV-36fv15 crt set that need some minor convergence touch up performed.

I downloaded a service manual and and see a lot of the convergence is done via on screen menus. However I don't see any entries to alter the width for the individual r-g-b colors. perhaps what I need is a guide that better explanes what the individual menus items do, there are about 100 of them.

When I display a cross hatch pattern the extream left shows mis convergence the reg green and blue are off by about an 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. I was thinking if I could tweak the width settings, and re center it would be good to go. Other wise the tv works as expected.

any suggestions what the menu title of the setting should be or is width done elsewhere ?

thanks
toddbailey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps wasn't logged in,

let's try this again...
jts1957

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with the procedures outlined on pages 17 thru 19 first! Wink

(I'm presuming you downloaded the CORRECT service manual.)
toddbailey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have the correct manual, Chassis AA-2W, for KV 32FV15

I'm not sure twisting coils and tweaking magnets is the best place to start,
I suspect I'd wind up with a bigger mess than what I started with.

Right now I want to focus on learning what the several hundred on screen menu items do. Is there any printed documentation I could download that provides more detailed discussion on what each item does?

So far I have found 3 separate pdf files that all have about the same content. A grid off menu items, a title of the function but nothing that provides a discussion on what each function does.
jts1957

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over time, the mechanical adjustments are likely to either drift or have been "tweeked" by the wanna-be technician. It won't harm anything if you MARK them and try them first (unless they are still factory "sealed") putting them back to mark if adjusting it doesn't resolve to your satisfaction.
If you decide to go for electrical adjustments anyway, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND recording the starting parameters/values (with pen & paper) BEFORE adjusting/changing any.

There is a Training Manual, however, I didn't see any mention of "convergence" in it.
http://elektrotanya.com/sony_chassis_aa-2w_wega_kv27_36fv15_fs10_kv32_36xbr250_kv32fv15_fs10_training.pdf/download.html
gettinold

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: convergence Reply with quote

If I haven't forgotten. If you have an adjustment Pcp at the top of chassis, see pictures of changes on that board. Green must be squared off first, then r and b to match over for alignment. Sometimes it's a minor tweek and sometimes it's another problem you don't expect. tap a bit here and there for cold solder joints before any adjustment trys. when adjusting, watch the whole screen, as convergence affects the whole pix or mostly left or right sides. Not sure if I can dig up good instructions, but I'll look tonight.
gettinold

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: oops convergence info too old Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm still asleep. On screen converge. Start the same with green as primary and get size and shape correct. I suspect horizontal green lin and size would be first to adj. to get it in proper squares. then r and b separately over the grn. You may know this, but size stretches the whole thing and lin sort of affects one side more than the other. Just watch the whole pix as you change it. Easier yet, maybe watch as you try red over green first, as it is easier to see the effect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия