electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
laptop: Toshiba Satellite A200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waldy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: laptop: Toshiba Satellite A200 Reply with quote

hi, i have a toshiba satellite A200 with the corrupted Bios. What can i do?
ed1808

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: laptop: Toshiba Satellite A200 Reply with quote

waldy wrote:
hi, i have a toshiba satellite A200 with the corrupted Bios. What can i do?

quick google search found this worth a try as you have nothing to loose

Re: Satellite A200 failed BIOS update
Options
‎09-30-2013 01:27 PM

BIOS update screwed up. Turning on computer and all you see is a black screen. Is the dvd\cd drive blinking? Have you a power light? Most importantly try this one step before you read on:

TRY THIS: If you are successful in this, you have a 99% chance of SUCCESS\RECOVERING your laptop. Remove your hard drive, remove your cd optical drive,remove laptop battery, hold power button for 30 seconds to get rid of residual power. NOW, pay attention here, hold down the FN and B button on keyboard, and at same time plug in laptop lead to mains OR DC jack (careful) and press power button on laptop ALL the time holding down FN and B. Does your laptop fan rev up HIGH and stay constant? Let go of FN and B when you hear fan revving up. Have you a purple light on the front of your laptop? GOOD, chances of recovery are high.

Got my Toshiba Satellite A200 back working thanks to reading information here and on Google. Right Folks, i consider this answer to be the ultimate solution. I mean i have tried literally everthing to get my Toshiba Satellite A200 back working and failed up until now Smile STICK in there and ignore all those toshiba dudes and techs that say "if its not broke, dont fix it" and "the chip needs to be resoldered, new motherboard, expensive fix, bla bla bla".

1. First of all, get a USB Floppy Disk Drive plus some spare floppy disks (you can still get these believe it or not, try Amazon), this is ESSENTIAL!!! Dont waste your time with USB Flash pen drives.
2. Get Phoenix WinCris 1.0.0.4 (dont use any other WinCris version) Use this one as its mentioned in several posts as being the most successful.
3. Now this is the crucial part, run WinCris 1.0.0.4 on Windows XP ONLY!! Nobody could tell me this. It was hinted in a few posts but not enshrined in stone. Windows 7 32 bit maybe could work, not sure, but as for Windows 7/8 64 bit, forget about it, the program keeps throwing errors when writing the BIOS.WPH file to floppy disk. If its not throwing errors, its just wasting your time and giving you false hope.
4. When you extract all the files (unrar them), make sure you place the files in a folder on the C:\ drive. So extract all the files to a folder Crisis and copy that folder to the root directory so essentially the file path would be C:\Crisis with your files in this folder.
Files are:

CRISBOOT
CRISDISK.bat
Instructions
MAKEBOOT
MINIDOS.SYS
PHLASH16.EXE
WINCRIS
WINCRIS

Get your bios update. Go to the Toshiba drivers website, select your Country (important) and if you want OLD BIOS updates, you will have to select Product Type "Archived files" instead of notebook. If you cant find your files, ensure you try the Archived files for the older ones.

With my bios update, it was just the setup.exe and the skaa260a.rom file. I renamed skaa260a.rom to BIOS.WPH and copied this file into my C:\Crisis folder. So now my BIOS.WPH file is beside all my other files (like this below):

BIOS.WPH
CRISBOOT
CRISDISK.bat
Instructions
MAKEBOOT
MINIDOS.SYS
PHLASH16.EXE
WINCRIS
WINCRIS

Ensure you rename the .rom file to BIOS.WPH with UPPERCASE letters.

5. Ensure you are using Windows XP. Connect up your USB FLOPPY drive, insert a new floppy disk. Now, go and run the CRISDISK.BAT file to build your disk. A DOS interface will appear, black screen white writing, follow through the steps, format the floppy disk, type Y and hit enter, hit any key to continue. Go to the end of these steps. Its mostly typing Y for Yes and N for No and hitting any key to continue (going from memory here sorry). Get to the end. All CRISDISK.BAT does is quick formatting, copying the three files, and lastly making it bootable, make sure you go through all the steps.

On your floppy disk you will now have 3 files:

PHLASH16.EXE
MINIDOS.SYS
BIOS.WPH

6. Connect floppy disk drive to USB port of bios failed laptop. Insert disk fully into drive. Now you have to get your broken laptop to FLASH the bios. So as i mentioned before, power off laptop, no battery, no hard drive, no dvd drive. Hold down FN and B together and at same time plug in laptop and press power button until you hear the fan revving up and the floppy disk drive blinking. Make sure you are holding the FN and B buttons together BEFORE you plug in and power on laptop. When you hear fan revving high and see floppy disk drive blinking, let go of buttons. Let the laptop sit for 10minutes max, any more is a waste of your time. I was waiting on my laptop fan to stop and reboot but it didnt. I thought to myself, NOT AGAIN, another failed BIOS flash but boy was i wrong. I disconnected plug from mains as the fan was still going constant (cuz power button fails to turn off).

7. Put the battery back in and power on laptop to a nice lovely BIOS Intro screen, very happy indeed.

Problems?? Still not working?
Once your laptop is flashing, this is a very good sign. Try other BIOS update files for your laptop but PLEASE ENSURE you are downloading the proper bios rom files. Double check your model number on base of your laptop. I tried numerous rom files and thought i goosed my laptop but hang in there, be very patient. Dont wait longer than 10 minutes to flash your laptop. Try a different USB port on your laptop for the floppy disk drive, thats sometimes a problem. Google what buttons you need to press to get your laptop to flash the rom file. All laptops are different. FN and B worked for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия