electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Varying degrees of electronic knowledge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Electrodoc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Varying degrees of electronic knowledge Reply with quote

I've Noticed That Users of the site have varying degrees of electronic knowledge it would be helpful to know there knowledge level before answering there questions.

Then the Engineer answering the question can decide how far and how indepth to go when answering questions.

Could this question be asked in a checkbox format during the initial request for help?, then displayed in the message threads?

E.g.
My Enquiry Dosn't Require Any Knowledge.
No Knowledge.
Good Knowledge But no Practical Experience.
I Have A Meter.
I Can use a Meter & I can Test Current.
I Can Test & Recognize Components.
I Can Solder.
I Can Desolder.
I Am a T.V. Engineer Stop Asking me These Silly Questions I'm Stuck! Very Happy

Could Jazz it up with Video/Picture links to :-

Safety measures
Meter usage.
Component Recognition (Pictures)
Soldering/Desoldering Tutorial (Video clip)?

Engineers could send there Soldering/safety/component clips in and then the Most clear and Laymen clips could be voted for by others and the winner wins something? Like A Portable Walrus Polishing Kit or something Equally as usefull.??
Atom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be quite honest and to the point here.

If one doesn't at least understand Ohm's Law, then they should not be fooling with electrical or electronic repair, period.

A proper understanding of Ohm's Law is absolutely essential in this field, for consistent success.

One more thing. If you are serious about getting your TV etc.. fixed (or learning electronic troubleshooting), you will post a proper schematic diagram/s (assuming that electronic troubleshooting is required). Electronic troubleshooting is done by proving things in a certain order via schematics and equipment (equipment being usually just a VOM and an oscilloscope, and sometimes just a VOM).

Smile
Electrodoc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutley Atom,
But I think knowing How much A User knows about electronics would allow the engineer who's helping the individual on how far to go with the repair.

For instance If the user can solder and they have an intermitent frame fault etc. Then 99 times out of 100 the user could repair the fault with guidence to where the fault Lies, especially if they can be directed to a page which shows what a dry joint looks like. and how to find the frame area.

The first thing which should be pointed out to anyone contemplating repairing there own set would be the main smoothing capacitor and the HT Stored in the CRT. and the method on how to check/discharge this voltage.

Don't you think?
Atom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrodoc wrote:
Absolutley Atom,
But I think knowing How much A User knows about electronics would allow the engineer who's helping the individual on how far to go with the repair.

For instance If the user can solder and they have an intermitent frame fault etc. Then 99 times out of 100 the user could repair the fault with guidence to where the fault Lies, especially if they can be directed to a page which shows what a dry joint looks like. and how to find the frame area.

The first thing which should be pointed out to anyone contemplating repairing there own set would be the main smoothing capacitor and the HT Stored in the CRT. and the method on how to check/discharge this voltage.

Don't you think?

Um, no. My honest opinion is that someone that lacks at least a basic knowledge and understanding of Ohm's Law should not even take off the back or cover. What if a person that just learned how to locate and solder bad solder joints inadvertently creates a short that blows a part where it is not obvious that it is blown, or more than one component becomes bad from their mistake that requires troubleshooting ( which is not uncommon)?

My advice is to aquire at least a basic qualification before attempting to even remove the back/cover. I've worked on literally hundreds of TV's and VCR's that had been made worse by unqualified people, and I'm not exaggerating. If the wrong hands get on a unit, it can easily cost the customer more and make the legit tech's job harder, and often does. The unit can even be damaged to the not worth repair category sometimes by improperly educated, or simply put, unqualified people that get their hands on it. You probably know as well as I that it is actually quite simple for a layman to fuk a unit up.

At least know and understand Ohm's Law first, that's my advice. Smile
Donny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Varying degree of electronic knowledge Reply with quote

Although you do have a point mainly for safety reasons I feel that people will have a go anyway especially with current low cost of equipment. Members may offer the individual advice and help and may actually avoid them personal injury or equipment destruction.
Individuals dabble at their own risk.
I am new to the forum and agree it would be good to know the knwledge of the indivdual as it would save time and avoid insulting engineers by explaining things that are not required.
On looking at some of the postings for assistance I was unsure replying as the country of origin is just as important due to the different systems and noticed this information was not obvious.
Atom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Varying degree of electronic knowledge Reply with quote

Donny wrote:
Although you do have a point mainly for safety reasons...
Actually, my main point is not intended to be safety reasons, it's intended to be for success reasons. If one wants to be consistently successful at troubleshooting electronic circuitry, they will strive to fully understand the relationship between voltage/amperage/resistance and wattage called Ohms Law. This understanding is most basic and absolutely paramount to consistent success. I cannot stress this enough.
Donny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Varying degree of electronic knowledge Reply with quote

I'm sure most people have knowledge of OHMS law anyway as it has been taught in schools for many years now.
The reason joe public writes in to forums such as this is because the t.v or whatever has broken down and usually requires to know EXACTLY what component to replace in order to get it working again at minimum cost and not concerned about calculations. You don't need to know OHMS LAW to replace a capacitor C314 4.7Uf, 50V but you do need to know where to obtain the correct part and fit it correctly at least.
Atom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Varying degree of electronic knowledge Reply with quote

Donny wrote:
I'm sure most people have knowledge of OHMS law anyway as it has been taught in schools for many years now.

I disagree. I do not think that most people have knowledge of Ohm's law. But it wouldn't matter if they did, because I am not talking about knowledge of Ohm's law, I am talking about fully understanding it, not simply knowing the formulas.

BTW, and I thought that this was obvious but, I'll clarify ..

My advice is addressing electronics repair technicians and those trying to become one, not the average person simply wanting to fix their TV to save money or w/e, or persons with just a casual interest etc..

.. my interest is not in these people but in the people that are serious about consistent success at electronic troubleshooting and repair. The rest can simply bring their sets to a shop to be repaired, and would be wise to not even remove the covers.

Most genuine electronics techs will not even waste their time with a person that lacks the understanding of a simple fundamental law such as Ohm's Law. This is not to put ordinary people down in any way, it is simply common sense, and believe it or not, properly qualified electronics techs are an extreme minority in this world, and that is why 99+% of the people on this earth that own TV's etc.. bring their sets etc to a shop to be repaired, or buy a new one.

A 150vdc source in an average TV measures 50 ohms to ground. Is this acceptable?

A 12vdc source in the same set measures 50 ohms to ground. Is this acceptable? What if it measures 5 meg to ground? Is that ok?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия