electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Can anyone help identify...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevenkh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Can anyone help identify... Reply with quote

Hello,

I apologize in advance for the poor pic as it came from a small pic in a magazine scan but can anyone help identify the scope and the device on top that the scope is connected to???

http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hitachiscopeandgb1.jpg

Is it possibly a Hitachi V-151F scope and is the device on top some sort of signal generator???

Thanks much for your expertise!

Steve
opal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: re: scope and ??? Reply with quote

well it seems to be a Hitachi V-151F, because Google gives back a ebay page from spain, where you can buy the thing, and it looks exactly the same...
The thing on top will be harder, why are you asking (just curoius)?
opal
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without being able to see more of the equipment, it would have to be a guess based on what is shown; You are correct about the hitach V151 which is a very ancient (15 MHZ) scope .
http://www.ustest.net/Pics/Ebay/Ebay1491_Pic1.jpg

Whatever magazine it was, appears to be some sort of older Audio test bench? At first glance the unit on top of the scope "looks like" some sort of a waveform monitor however having an XLR & 1/4" connections points more to a Generator like you've suggested--also the piece on the right appears to be some sort of power amplifier with vu meter under test or simply a VU meter test panel?

...In any case , you can set up a more "up to date" bench IF that is what the purpose is?
stevenkh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: re: scope and ??? Reply with quote

opal wrote:
well it seems to be a Hitachi V-151F, because Google gives back a ebay page from spain, where you can buy the thing, and it looks exactly the same...
The thing on top will be harder, why are you asking (just curoius)?
opal

Thank you for your response.

To answer your question, I (actually, "we" - as there's a fairly large group) ask because these are the last two pieces of gear in Tom Scholz' recording studio that noone has been able to identify. On the official Equipment List, the scope is listed as a Tektronix...and I use a tektronix and that can't be correct. I'm positive that's a Hitachi model but I am unfamiliar with that line.

As for the BNC-connected device on top...I have NO idea; I assume it to be some sort of signal generator or spectrum analyzer but I am unfamiliar with that particular piece of equipment. Which is why I'm asking the experts in here...

Thanks!

Steve
stevenkh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech wrote:
Without being able to see more of the equipment, it would have to be a guess based on what is shown; You are correct about the hitach V151 which is a very ancient (15 MHZ) scope .
http://www.ustest.net/Pics/Ebay/Ebay1491_Pic1.jpg

Whatever magazine it was, appears to be some sort of older Audio test bench? At first glance the unit on top of the scope "looks like" some sort of a waveform monitor however having an XLR & 1/4" connections points more to a Generator like you've suggested--also the piece on the right appears to be some sort of power amplifier with vu meter under test or simply a VU meter test panel?

...In any case , you can set up a more "up to date" bench IF that is what the purpose is?

The piece on the right with the VU meter is actually the left edge of his old '70s Auditronix 501 mixing console.

Isn't it interesting how he's still using all this old gear to make Boston records...?
opal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Info,
i have to addmit, im not into Musik really, so i dont know
Tom Scholz
but i just watched an Interview on Youtube...
So besides all the Musical and Social Stuff he invented Hardware for Musicians! (and great stuff, as far as i can see)
In the Interview, there are different workspaces with Oscilloscopes and Things with coax connectors on top of them
very likly they are frequenz generators, espacially with sound modifiing equipment you want to see how typicall waveforms change in a modul or instrument.
but maybe im wrong and its "somthing complettly different"
rock on, opal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opal wrote:
Thanks for the Info,
i have to addmit, im not into Musik really, so i dont know
Tom Scholz
but i just watched an Interview on Youtube...
So besides all the Musical and Social Stuff he invented Hardware for Musicians! (and great stuff, as far as i can see)
In the Interview, there are different workspaces with Oscilloscopes and Things with coax connectors on top of them
very likly they are frequenz generators, espacially with sound modifiing equipment you want to see how typicall waveforms change in a modul or instrument.
but maybe im wrong and its "somthing complettly different"
rock on, opal

I'm alittle surprised you've never heard of this man. Before his life as a rock star, song writer, composer, and recording engineer, as a kid he received his first patent for a new method designing/transporting A-frame houses (his father was an architect and owner of Scholz Homes in Toledo, Ohio - and nearly every single neighborhood in America built after WWII in the 40's & 50's has a Scholz-designed home in it).

Soon after, Tom received a full scholarship to MIT and graduated with a 4.8 out of 5.0 grade point average and received his Master's in Mechanical Engineering. After graduation, he worked for Polaroid as a senior project engineer. He soon received his 2nd patent in the early 1970s - an infrared sensor that automatically focused the lens of the camera on Polaroid cameras (remember that???). Also in the early 70s, Tom also invented the wildly popular Polaroid One Step SX-70 camera (remember these???):

As he worked during the day at Polaroid, he played bar gigs at night and used his Polaroid earnings to buy musical/recording gear. What he couldn't afford, he hand built - right down to his multi-track tape deck which used beta tape. "...Using technology I acquired working at Polaroid, I built a crude multitrack tape machine and sequestered myself in my basement...." www*dot*bostonband*dot*com/html/album1_html.html

After his perfectly mastered home brew recordings were given to Epic (that's a story unto itself), his songs soon began to get airplay. Within a few months, his album skyrocketed to Platinum status and he and his friends went out on tour for 3 months. What's amazing is, he went back to work at Polaroid when the tour was over. He was already a multi-milllionaire by that time.

He soon left Polaroid and within a few years, a lawsuit occurred from Epic suing Tom for slow production on albums (I believe the contract called for something rediculous like 8 albums in 3 years). So, Tom stopped recording and in order to fund the lawsuit (which was to drag on for 8 years and cost millions in attorney fees), Tom invented Scholz Research & Development to market the home brew gear he used in his studio and on stage. He inevitably wins the lawsuit against Epic.

A few other engineering feats of Tom:

1. he invented the 1st guitar tuner (tho he didn't bother to get a patent and the idea was stolen from him).

2. he pioneered direct recording with his power soaks and home brew preamp gear. Tom engineered how to get his 100 watt Plexi Marshalls with volume knob on "10" directly into his mixing console.

There are many more examples of firsts - too numerous to list here. With all his fame and fortune (he's one of the most wealthiest musicians in history), he still drives his old rusted out 70s Toyota and after his living expenses, gives away all his money to various charities.

The guy is truly a genius, a marvel, and a great humanitarian. One of the great men of the 20th century.

Now...if we can identify that last piece of mysterious gear in his studio *haha*. It sorta looks like an Iwatsu SS-5702 oscilloscope...but not quite.

Thank you again for your help.

Take care,

Steve
opal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW
im absolutly amazed, great guy!
so if youre so curious to know about this thing in the studio, why dont you try and get in contact with him?
I just put a hacked firmware on my digital camera (btw: works for all digimarc II Processors in Canon cameras) so that it shots RAW now, whitch it didnt before (great change for the better), and i had trouble with porting films to the camera, asked in the firmwareforum, and the russian guy that wrote this firmware helped me. I admit its abit of a shock to meet/talk to people you know are so cool, I feelt a little afraid (had this with a djane i fancied as well, and meet coincidently, realized: oh i know her from TV, but she is a normal human beeing!(Im not into music, but i like some techno) But then, most people are just people and like beeing treated as people, not as gurus or goods or whatever
So why shoudnt Mr. Scholz talk with you and your friends about his stuff?
Thanks for sharing all the Info and Have a nice day! opal
stevenkh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opal wrote:
WOW
im absolutly amazed, great guy!
so if youre so curious to know about this thing in the studio, why dont you try and get in contact with him?
I just put a hacked firmware on my digital camera (btw: works for all digimarc II Processors in Canon cameras) so that it shots RAW now, whitch it didnt before (great change for the better), and i had trouble with porting films to the camera, asked in the firmwareforum, and the russian guy that wrote this firmware helped me. I admit its abit of a shock to meet/talk to people you know are so cool, I feelt a little afraid (had this with a djane i fancied as well, and meet coincidently, realized: oh i know her from TV, but she is a normal human beeing!(Im not into music, but i like some techno) But then, most people are just people and like beeing treated as people, not as gurus or goods or whatever
So why shoudnt Mr. Scholz talk with you and your friends about his stuff?
Thanks for sharing all the Info and Have a nice day! opal

You'd like Tom - he's a camera expert and you two would have ALOT in common. I'm not concerned about his stardom - and you are correct: people are just people. But as you can obviously see by his accomplishments, the man lives in his labs (studio or workbench) and he's impossible to get in touch with.

Well, hopefully will come across this thread and recognize this mysterious piece of gear.

Take care and good luck!

Thanks to all who responded...

Steve
oslec

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: service mode Reply with quote

hello to everyone ho can help me to my problem ho can give me the service mode of panasonic tv & sharp tv thanks and god bless [/code]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия