electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
SMPS power supply problem, help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: SMPS power supply problem, help Reply with quote

Can anyone plz help me about SMPS power supply. Thus am having trouble to find the problem. It is that I have power in primary, but nothing at secondary. So please tell me more about this. Is it the autocoupler or is it the power transistor , or is it the conroller IC. Plz help me.
tedy
Al_Dodge_Bundy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very often the small capacitors (e.g. 4.7 uF or 10 uF) on the primairy side of the switched power suply, dry out.
This is due to the heat generated by the primairy power transitor.

Because most of the times, there are only 3 or four small capacitators in the primairy circuit, it is wise just to replace them all.

Many times this helps to "start" the switched power suply again!

Good luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al_Dodge_Bundy wrote:

Because most of the times, there are only 3 or four small capacitators in the primairy circuit, it is wise just to replace them all.

Capacitators? Are they electrolytic varieties of tubers? Laughing
absorbentgnome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh! Wasn't logged in.
Mark's has a good suggestion though - and check the chopper transistor for s/c as well and any fusibles around it.
tedy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the autocoupler ( Pc......), the controller IC, Can they stop the power going to the seconday side.
tedy
Al_Dodge_Bundy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've already replaced the capacitors (better spelling as "capacitators" Very Happy ) and the power supply still isn't starting up, it surely is possible that the controller IC has died.

They are often very cheap, so I would suggest just to replace it and you will know if it's failing!

Grtz Mark

P.s. Also check the resistors that "feed" the control IC, from the 300 V capacitor to the IC. They are most of the times a few 100 KOhms, so you will have to remove them from the circuit to measure their value.
tedy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. but what about the autocoupler . what is it's function. how can i know if it is faulty. what can be the effects when it is faulty.
tedy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: SMPS power supply problem, help Reply with quote

http://weber.ucg.ie/mirrors/www.repairfaq.org/sam/smpsfaq.htm#smpstsps
tedy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. but what about the autocoupler . what is it's function. how can i know if it is faulty. what can be the effects when it is faulty.
tedy
Al_Dodge_Bundy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'll gues I mixed up the autocoupler and controller IC, my english isn't a 100 %, sorry Laughing

The autocoupler is used to "measure" if there is any secundairy power.
These thing rairly fail. So no need to replace them.

The controller IC can breakdown!, so I meant to replace that one (cause it's usualy cheap)

Grtz Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия