electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Fixing a volume knob and headphone jack on an Audio Kontrol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Fixing a volume knob and headphone jack on an Audio Kontrol Reply with quote

I bought a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 new a few years ago for recording to my PC. The problem is that the mic input only works if the input volume's turned up all the way, which is too much. But anything less and the signal drops to barely audible. It used to be that I could wiggle the knob to get it working at lower volumes (or sometimes, strangely, turning the phantom power off then on again worked). Now, it's all or almost nothing.

Also, the headphone jack is malfunctioning. Sometimes I only get sound in one ear, or it's crackly in one ear. Wiggling the connection helps. And I know it's the jack since the headphones work fine with everything else.

I have almost no budget to fix this thing. I want to do it myself despite lacking experience (I have to start somewhere, right?). I can borrow equipment or spend a little money. Any advice? These appear to be standard types of audio components that need repair, so I'd imagine there's information out there somewhere, maybe even video tutorials (crossing my fingers).

Thanks for any help!
JasonApril

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I thought I was logged in. Didn't realize I could post as a guest.
jts1957

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to enter a 4 digit code before each posting should help clue you in. Wink
JasonApril

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? I have to enter the code whether signed in or not. Besides, some forums have very strict quality control.
jts1957

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it must be having the "Log me on automatically each visit:" box checked then. Smile
JasonApril

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This conversation has been enlightening. You wouldn't happen to know anything about repairing electronics, would you?
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried spraying with a 'safe-for-plastics' contact cleaner and working the potentiometer / headphone jack to spread the chemical?

By day I'm a lowly rocket scientist, electronic repair is a sideline.
JasonApril

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you tried spraying with a 'safe-for-plastics' contact cleaner and working the potentiometer / headphone jack to spread the chemical?

Thank you for the advice. This was also recently recommended to me in a thread on another forum The more important problem, however, is the volume knob. That requires taking the device apart, which I have no experience with. I build computers, so that's the extent of electronics knowledge I have. But that's just adding and removing components designed to be added and removed. Repair is another matter.
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same with repair. Pot & headphone jack could also be replaced. Parts just a little harder to obtain. Just be observant. Carefully open it up. You may find it's not that different or difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия