electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
SONY KV-32FX65B error code 5, shuts down after 30secs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spookydd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: SONY KV-32FX65B error code 5, shuts down after 30secs Reply with quote

Hi,
I need to fix a SONY TV, model KV-32FX65B Trinitron, for which I don't have a service manuel, yet. Although I am trying to obtain the right manual, I have tried looking at a manual for an other model that seems very close, the KV-32FX68B. But the manual doesn't explain anything about the error codes beyond listing them.
That TV turns on and appears to function properly, sound, picture, everything seems normal, but then after 30secs, it shuts itself off.
The stand by led light blinks 5 times, so I found out that is an error code 5.
Could someone help me fix this please?
Thanks
vtech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the manual at elektrotanya.com. It is the european version of it.
Been out of consumer electronics for some time but I do remember the 5 blinks meant unstable AKB (auto Kin Bias)--same as white balance.
It is an automatic circuit that sony used to monitor the stability of the RGB balance. It could be anything from a video processor or driver issue all the way up to a worn CRT.--- and it did not have to look bad when operating.
btw, turning down G2 sometimes helped out.
spookydd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I couldn't sign up on the elektrotanya.com site because it said it's by invitations only, or by a "good test" which I don't know what that is referring to.

I did see something somewhere about that unstable AKB and that some action could be taken on the G2, but I have no info on G2 and what to do with it.

I grabbed a service manual somewhere for a similar model and I see it's microcontroller based all over the place, plus there are things we can do with the built-in service menu and there also exists some external device that can sort of plug into the tv and do some maintenance, but of course I don't have that device.

The service manual should help a lot, but I suspect it's not really as complete as it should be, without enough descriptions and info to fully understand everything without getting some help elsewhere.

How can I get invited on that site to download the service manual?

Thanks
jts1957

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://elektrotanya.com/sony_kv-28fx65b_e_u_32fx65b_e_k_u-ch.ae-5.pdf/download.html

1) Click link
2) Click blue arrow (or Model number)
3) Go to bottom left and find: "This file is downloadable free of charge... processing (please wait)"
4) WAIT until "processing (please wait)" changes into "GET MANUAL"
5) Press "GET MANUAL"

I presume you can take it from there,
spookydd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jts1957 wrote:
http://elektrotanya.com/sony_kv-28fx65b_e_u_32fx65b_e_k_u-ch.ae-5.pdf/download.html

1) Click link
2) Click blue arrow (or Model number)
3) Go to bottom left and find: "This file is downloadable free of charge... processing (please wait)"
4) WAIT until "processing (please wait)" changes into "GET MANUAL"
5) Press "GET MANUAL"

I presume you can take it from there,

Thanks, yes, I was able to retrieve that manual, and while I was at it, I also found that test to pass to receive an invitation, so I did that and registered now.
I will look into this repair situation shortly when I have time and daylight permits.
Thanks
leo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: re sony tv Reply with quote

As vetch mentioned the g2 settings on this tv is a likely cause to set the g2 volts level select AV with no signal applied then adjust g2 so that flyback lines appear then back off until they disappear .. this was a common problem when I used to repair these sets
spookydd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: re sony tv Reply with quote

leo wrote:
As vetch mentioned the g2 settings on this tv is a likely cause to set the g2 volts level select AV with no signal applied then adjust g2 so that flyback lines appear then back off until they disappear .. this was a common problem when I used to repair these sets

I'm assuming you're referring to that pot on the flyback to adjust the focus. That's the only G2 related thing that I've seen in the manual. And there are apparently 2 of them on that flyback, one that is there but not used.

So if I get this right, simply altering the setting and put it back later would get things back to normal? (I would take note of the current position and put it back there later) Besides, the focus adjustment can always be redone.

I will attempt this, thanks
spookydd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: tried it, didn't work Reply with quote

Just in case I wanted to find again the original setting for the focus, I made a closeup video of the area, since my eyesight isn't what it used to be, I could always view this and use it to reset the adjustment.

Anyway there are 2 adjustments there, the top one is focus and the other says screen, which is the one I think isn't used, as mentioned in the manual.

So I turned the focus to the left, and it really didn't go very far, but after retesting, the tv continues shutting down after about 30secs and blinking the error 5.

Then just for good measure, I turned the adjustment the other way, and while at it, all the way, which also turns out not to be very far either, because it seems the range of adjustment is only about 1/2 turn total.

But that too didn't change anything and the error 5 is still there.

The inside is rather dusty and it's been hot recently, which is when the issue started, so I'm guessing the dust didn't help but the extreme heat certainly must've caused some problem.

What else could I try?
spookydd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: re sony tv Reply with quote

leo wrote:

If I need to access some maintenance menu to act on some levels, then that can't happen, because the tv turns off before the screen is even stable enough.

Is there any other way to do this?

Since apparently I was wrong in assuming the G2 was the focus adjustment on the flyback, there is something else somewhere.

The thing is, I went through that service manual, and although it does contain many quite useful info, it's incomplete and doesn't elaborate about the error codes and nothing about managing that micro-controller.
Thanks
jts1957

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just take a magic marker and draw a line across the control - that is across the movable part and onto the stationary part so that to put back you just match the marks into a straight line.

Page 24 G2 adjustment [RV5376]
4. Whilst watching the picture, adjust the G2 control RV5376
[SCREEN] located on the C Board to the point just before the
flyback return lines disappear.

C Board Page 34 - G2
It's on the printed wiring board on the pointy part of the picture tube (directly opposite the viewing surface).

Service manuals are written to be used by persons with some electronic learning / training ('technicians'). They give service codes to lead technicians to the approximate area, not necessarily the actual bad part or cause.

As far as how long fine adjusting G2 control will last, that depends on how fast the picture tube is aging, which is the actual cause of most AKB shutdowns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия