electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Plantronics Gamecom1 - Snipped Cord.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Render

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Plantronics Gamecom1 - Snipped Cord. Reply with quote

My Dilemma

Hello. I have an audio remote for my surround sound speakers, and this remote makes plugging my headset in very inconvenient. The reason being, the audio plug from the headset has to go into the remote so that I may adjust sound with it while using my headset, and the microphone plug also extending from the headset has to go way down behind my computer where my sound card is (Audigy 2 ZS). This is impossible to do since there is very little cable length where the one cable splits into the audio and mic plugs unless I want to have my audio remote down by my feet where my computer is. So I was stupid enough to snip off the little plastic piece which layers over the area where the one cable splits into two, so that I may somehow re-adjust the area where the cable splits. Little to my knowledge, this was thorougly impossible for someone with as little expertise as I. So I tried to cut my losses and reattach the now three snipped-apart cables (audio, microhpone, and the one which holds both together) by shearing off the plastic black covering on the ends of the cables by twisting the inner cables together. My headset still does not work...

I am writing this in hopes that someone from this will be knowledgable enough to help me repair my headset. from what I can see the main cable contains a White cable (containing copper hairs),red copper hairs,blue copper hairs, and regular copper hairs, along with a slightly larger grouping of regular copper hairs. The severed black audio cable contains the red, blue, and regualr copper hairs. The severed black microphone cable contains the white cable (copper hairs inside) and a larger grouping of copper hairs. I tried to fix this by matching the types and twisting them together but the headset is still not recording or playing sound. Am I not supposed to match the wires by colour/type? A reply would be appreciated, thanks!

Some High-detail Pictures (plus a crappy diagram)
To help you understand

http://roborn.org/images/pic_001.jpg
http://roborn.org/images/pic_002.jpg
http://roborn.org/images/pic_003.jpg
http://roborn.org/images/gamecomdiagram.gif
R_ay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct as far as matching colors. However if you notice, some are actually covered by a plastic coating (clear & /or red/blue) which prevents them from touching one another inside the tube. While they are suppose to be isolated independetly,bare copper wire must be exposed in order to make electrical connection (sometimes impossible to do). Quite honestly, they are not meant to be reattached & not worth the trouble/hassle.
I have gone thru replacing several myself mainly due to being pulled/caught under the chair etc... Once there is an issue with the cable, best to replace the whole headset.

Ray
Render

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Plantronics, I would have to ship it to some place in Quebec to get it repaired. I would rather do it quickly at my desk.

Note - All wiring inside the black cord seems to be bare copper wire with the exception of the white little cable, and I have already stripped the ends to reveal the copper wiring inside, although the copper wiring seems to be intertwined with some sort of white insulator. it looks like cotton.

My questions are:
-What is the white cotton-like material twisted in with the copper wiring, and how does it affect me repairing my headset?
-Do the colour/types have to be isolated after they are twisted together in order to make an electrical connection?
-Will this home-repairing affect the quality of sound received/recorded?
-Can I get this repaired at any repair shop or does it have to be shipped to Quebec as plantronics sais.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия