electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Marantz reciever - static once per day
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mozgus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Marantz reciever - static once per day Reply with quote

I have an old Marantz reciever I use everyday. Model number is SR940.

My issue with it is minor but if it's a common issue with a common fix, I'd love to work on it. The issue is, the reciever will randomly produce a steady stream of static to the speakers until I shut it off and turn it back on. This usually only happens about once per day, and at not specific time.

It seems to be totally unrelated to the room temperate, because there have been very hot days where this issue never sprung up. But there's been days where the room temperature might be 60F and it happens.

It also seems to be unrelated to the ammount of time the reciever has been turned on and producing sound. Sometimes it will happen just 5 minutes after I turn it on. Sometimes it happens after being on for 10 hours.

The thing is, once the static is heard, it never goes away on it's own. I just hafta power off and on to fix it.

Any idea what causes this? Anything I can do to fix it?
shawng

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know to much about recievers but I've allways fixed my own thanks to theese boards. I had the same problem with my 70's Sherwood but I would keep switching mostly my mode, selector, and tone switches and the static stoped. Then I got contact cleaner and cleaned all my pots and switches and the problem was solved. I also had that problem with my peavy mace amp and I just cleaned all the pots and it worked great. I don't know how much experience you have fixing electronics but I learned the hard way. I was taking out the pots on my guitar amp and I burnt the hell out of my traces using a cheap , I think 5 watt soldiering iron, and I had to run jumper wires everywhere. Just get good tools and you can't mess it up.
Mozgus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawng wrote:
I really don't know to much about recievers but I've allways fixed my own thanks to theese boards. I had the same problem with my 70's Sherwood but I would keep switching mostly my mode, selector, and tone switches and the static stoped. Then I got contact cleaner and cleaned all my pots and switches and the problem was solved. I also had that problem with my peavy mace amp and I just cleaned all the pots and it worked great. I don't know how much experience you have fixing electronics but I learned the hard way. I was taking out the pots on my guitar amp and I burnt the hell out of my traces using a cheap , I think 5 watt soldiering iron, and I had to run jumper wires everywhere. Just get good tools and you can't mess it up.

Uh...I'm ganna need some pictures and instructions then. I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for inside this thing. I don't want to zap myself on some charged capacitor or anything like that. What do you mean by pots? Contact cleaner? Cloth and rubbing alcohol? I need details...
shawng

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pots are potentiometers like the bass, trebble and balance knobs, and any function selector like am, fm, aux, tone, monitor, dubbing, speaker selector, ect should be cleaned. I'm not sure what what a Marantz has but from what I've read I wish I had one. Just open it up. The pots will have metal tabs you just pry up and you take the back off, well first pull the knobs off the front The inside is a round melal piece with some black thing around it that changes the resistance and a pole with the contacts. You will see they're probably black where the touch the black thing. They're real easy to clean. From what I've read I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol. I got my contact cleaner at home depot in the electrical section. Radio Shack will also have it. I just sprayed it on the black thing and contacts and rubbed it down with a q-tip. The switches should have the metal tabs also and when you take them apart you will see the contacts. If you don't feel comfortable opening it up yourself, I would take it somewhere to get cleaned. I shouldn't cost alot. The only advise I have for you after you open it up is just don't touch any capacitors. I don't think there are any around the pots or switches. My TV broke last year and I read I should dis charge the capacitors first, instead I just made sure I didn't touch them. It was just a burnt resistor on the yolk. Now to make some sence of this, I had a few glasses of scotch, the pots and switches are really easy to clean but it will take a couple hours to do. If you have the money you should just take it to get cleaned. I could be completely wrong but It sounds exactly like the problems I had with 70's electronics and the pots and switches definently make static. I would recomend you have it cleaned anyway but you might want to wait for a professional to respond, they could explain it alot better..Let me know if you are going to clean it yourself. I could take some pics of my pots and switches and show you how to clean them if needed. Please let me know how it turns out.
Mozgus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see pictures if you could. I am doing it myself. I cant afford to have it cleaned and I dont think anyone in this town does that anyway. I'd rather just buy a modern reciever if it came to that. One with optical inputs so I could finally put thise Audigy sound card to good use. But I just dont have money so I need to do this myself.
shawng

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have them for you tomorrow by this time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Iwas just doing some research on your reciever and if its the one I've found the whole thing is digital execpt bass, treble, and balance is a slider. Is that the one you have?

If it is, It might be hard to show you, I thought it was older. I have to fix and clean my sansui amp. Slide your bass, treble and balance back and forth, is there any static?, if there is I could show you how to clean them when I clean my EQ. The digital stuff, all mine has is ,fine tune control , filters, loudness, and meter range. I'll open it up and clean them tomorrow, I think they should be similar and I'll take pictures. I would press each button repeatedly when you get the stactic and see if it changes anything, you maybe able to narrow it down.
I am hoping someone would confirm my theory so I'm wasting any of your time.
Mozgus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I'm sorry Iwas just doing some research on your reciever and if its the one I've found the whole thing is digital execpt bass, treble, and balance is a slider. Is that the one you have?

If it is, It might be hard to show you, I thought it was older. I have to fix and clean my sansui amp. Slide your bass, treble and balance back and forth, is there any static?, if there is I could show you how to clean them when I clean my EQ. The digital stuff, all mine has is ,fine tune control , filters, loudness, and meter range. I'll open it up and clean them tomorrow, I think they should be similar and I'll take pictures. I would press each button repeatedly when you get the stactic and see if it changes anything, you maybe able to narrow it down.
I am hoping someone would confirm my theory so I'm wasting any of your time.

Well heres a picture:

I really dont know much about it. I got it for free from a friend because I fixed up his computers so often. He did the paint job too. If by digital, you mean buttons instead of dials for the volume and such, then yes. Only bass, treble, and balance use those sliders.
Mozgus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that after moving furniture around today, including the reciever, I haven't had the static pop up on me yet. Like I said, it usually happens once a day at a random time. We'll see tomorrow.
fongs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Does the 'static' happens when u turn or slide the Volume or tone controls? If not, it could be a bigger problem... your caps drying or transistors may be dying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия