electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
two receivers shorted out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamkirk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: two receivers shorted out Reply with quote

Can anyone help with this problem? I had an old JVC receiver hitched up to two sets of speakers -- one in my kitchen, and one outside on the deck (all weather Boston Acoustic speakers -- about a year old). Everything worked fine until about two weeks ago, then the receiver seemed to have died -- no music from either set of speakers. I figured it had just crapped out. So I attached my Onkyo receiver and had sound from all four speakers -- inside and out. But as I cranked the volume, I got a crackling sound. The music faded momentarily, then came back. It worked fine for a few hours, but after I shut off the receiver, it wouldn't come back on later. It too appears to be fried.
Any ideas on what would cause both receivers to short out -- even though everything had worked fine until about two weeks ago???
I'm stumped.
lkirk
fongs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Could be due to short in speaker or speaker cables??

Does the receiver come back on when u power up without speakers? Try using the headphones only to test.

Your receivers should still work as most have a Protect mode in over current situations.

Cheers.
teamkirk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried w/o the speakers... The power comes on, but no sound. One set of speakers is in the house, with wires snaked through the walls. The other is outside... Could a short in the outside speakers short out the whole unit?
fongs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamkirk wrote:
I haven't tried w/o the speakers... The power comes on, but no sound. One set of speakers is in the house, with wires snaked through the walls. The other is outside... Could a short in the outside speakers short out the whole unit?

Yes, that is possible. In fact, could be a short in any of the speakers or cables that trigger the "Protect" mode. The best is to dis-connect all existing speakers & try out with a pair of good speakers.
teamkirk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip... will give it a try!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия