electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
AC Adapters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikuma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: AC Adapters Reply with quote

Hi all

I'll try and make this make as much sense as possible...

I just bought a guitar pedal from the USA (i'm in Australia btw) and it was supplied with a US transformer with the following specs - INPUT: 120VAC 60Hz 5.5W / OUTPUT: 9VDC 300mA.

In my enthusiasm upon receiving the pedal I forgot to check the specs on the transformer and plugged it directly into a 240V mains power supply using a universal adapter (stupid, i know).

The pedal powered up for a moment and then a pop sound and a strong smell came from the transformer.

I assumed that the voltage from the mains power supply would have fried the transformer first and therefore cut the circuit to the pedal keeping it safe from a short circuit - does this sound right?

I went out and bought the following replacement transformer - INPUT: 240VAC 50Hz 8VA / OUTPUT: 9VDC 200mA thinking that the pedal would be ok and that this would do the trick.

I get home, plug it into the mains power supply & pedal and alas nothing happens.

Is it possible that I've fried the pedal circuitry? If so, is this sort of problem fixable? I also thought that the output of 300mA on the original transofrmer compared to the 200mA on the replacement might have something to do with it but I have no idea about this sort of thing.

Sorry for the longwinded explanation, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Nik
dolescle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems like this is very common with varying voltage sources.. I myself had done this silly thing, plugging directly to a 220V mains,I even call this The BIG POP, hehe..

Actually your right plugging your pedal directly to a supply twice its rated voltage will fry any circuitry.. Therefore your pedal is toast, but it's fixable, you can take it to your local repair shop and unfortunately pay the price for being innocent.. The BIG POP doesn't excuse anyone..
epi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nikuma,
Have you checked that the +/- connection of the new power supply mates the pedal input jack?
fongs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epi wrote:
Hi Nikuma,
Have you checked that the +/- connection of the new power supply mates the pedal input jack?

Yeap, like epi said, check the polarity of your DC supply.

IMO, yr pedal shd be still in working cond. if it has some sort of protection against incorrect DC polarity.

Also to add, your 200mA adaptor is abit under-rated compared to the original 300mA. Yr new adaptor will work but it may get hot as the pedal maybe drawing more current than the adaptor can supply.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия