electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Amplifier help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G_2442

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Amplifier help Reply with quote

Hey everyone I'm having a problem with my amplifier I wondering if you guys can help me out. This is what's going on.

The amp turns on the Led's on the front light up but I get no sound.

Here are some observations I have made -

1. The relay isn't turning on the amp isn't making the click sound it use to make.
2. When the volume is about all the way up I can faintly here music coming from the amp.
3. There is no output coming from the speaker terminals as well as the headphone jack. I checked the output voltage for speaker set A & B and it read 1.4mV for all 4

Also the amp is over 20 years old it is a sears LXI series amp model AM 4023

Any help would be appreciated Shocked
BBHE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've had same problem with a amp, only in the right channel thow.

In my case it where only the fuses and the output transistor.
Morrowrj

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you open the unit up to give it a good inspection? For amplifiers, often you can see or smell the offending part.
G_2442

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I opened it up there doesn't seem to be any damage to the components. I fuses inside look good to.
Can I Relay go bad?
Morrowrj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible but very unlikely. To test it you could jumper out the contacts and see if it works, but you have to get the right ones and depending on size it could be tough.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed capacitors and relay still no luck anyone have any other ideas
Ivan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: relay, amp Reply with quote

If the relay is used to disconnect the speakers from the amp during turn-on, it also monitors DC voltage and will not energize if DC voltage from the amp is present. It is used to protect the speakers. It sounds like the amp has blown a transistor (or cap) and DC voltage is present at one side of the relay. If you jumper the relay, you may damage your speakers....Do you know how to test power transistors with a meter, with power off? At high enough volume levels you will hear audio from the transistors on these older models.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I changed the relay the music from the amp has gotten louder and volume meter has gone higher as well. What should I do next

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm definitely hearing music how do I test the transistors?
Ivan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: transistors Reply with quote

This may be a bit difficult if you are not that familiar with electronics, but here goes. Transistors have 3 leads, Case, base, and emitter. With power off, power cord unplugged, give it a few minutes or longer for any caps to discharge. With an ohm meter, check the leads in any order for shorts. These power transistors are usually mounted on a heatsink and at that time, probably plugged into a socket. Hopefully the pins are accessible. the Case lead is the case of the transistor if its metal. Usually, one channel of the 2 channel amp will fail, so you can compare the readings from the left and right side. A low resistance or zero ohms indicates a bad transistor. Part numbers are on the transistor case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия