electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Power surge, now stereo emits VERY quiet volume...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfersurfer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Power surge, now stereo emits VERY quiet volume... Reply with quote

After a power outage and I believe some surges/over-voltages, my stereo system failed. When the volume is turned up all the way I can only here a VERY faint sound.

I took the stereo apart and on the circuit board I noticed three very large capacitors (a few inches tall and over an inch wide). I have seen capacitors bulge and leak before but I'm not sure what I'm looking at here.

There is a hardened black goop on the bottoms of the capacitors. I have had my stereo repaired once before...could this black stuff be a glue that the tech used to secure the capacitors more firmly to the board? Or is the black stuff coming out of the capacitors?

And...would the capacitors be the problem anyways?

THanks for any help!
vtech

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be certain on the capacitors without seeing it (can you post a pix?)

But in general, big electrolytics pop/vent thru the top, resulting in a massive Hum in the audio rather than killing it? While you MAY have a cap issue, problem may very well be somewhere else? ie; (muting , switching tx or ic etc)
surfersurfer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: here are some pics... Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response! I managed to get a couple pics, please note that the grey stuff on the capacitors is just dust.

Also, a clarification on the problem: when turning the stereo on, volume nearly full and starting to play something I get a hum, then a few sharp crackles and I do here distorted sound coming out.

Thanks!
here are the links to the pics:
http://members.shaw.ca/davempicklyk/stereoproblems/pic1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/davempicklyk/stereoproblems/pic2.jpg
vtech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that is NOT the capacitors leaking. It is just a type of glue used to hold the electrolytics in place & happen to be that color... Time for more troubleshooting
surfersurfer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: time for a new stereo? Reply with quote

I tried the headphones jack and other speakers, still the same hum and sharp crackles here and there and very distorted playback.

New stereo time?
vtech

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not familiar on how to t-shoot, then it may be time for a new one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия