electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
switching off at the mains, damage to dvd and freeview box?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterroy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: switching off at the mains, damage to dvd and freeview box? Reply with quote

Hi, both boxes were around a year old, we'd just switched them off at the mains usually, and not looked to see if they are on standby, both boxes became very tempremental at switching on. Since they both went at around the same it suggests its something I was doing wrong.
Could my £18 saving by not using standby have cost me £60 by breaking both boxes?

roy
torbjorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, definitely not. The only cases where it might be good to use standby mode for consumer electronics are (1) older televisions (say, late 70's to mid 80's) using a rechargeable battery for the channel memory, some of those have so low charging current that the battery will become discharged if the set is switched on only a few hours a day, and then the set cannot store preset channel while it is switched off. And (2) televisions from the early 70's with RCA (or RCA licensees) thin-neck delta CRTs, which had very short life expectancy unless the cathodes were preheated before switching-on.

Modern units often get early failures of electrolytic capacitors etc in the power supply if they are left in standby mode. Furthermore, the risk of the units suffering lightning damage is greater if they are in standby than when properly switched off.
misterroy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
zosimosthompson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also facing the same problem from many days but can not solve it because anyone do not have knowledge about freeview set top box settings. So I am searching on Google and it takes me here and I tried the solution posted over here and it worked very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия