electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Hitachi Capristor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beyond

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Hitachi Capristor Reply with quote

Anyone have a way to check a capristor, I feel that this part is intermittent, and causing me problems in Hitachi TV power supply.
Gravityboots

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Capacitor checker Reply with quote

I have a meter for checking capacitors. Every good TV man keeps one close by at all times. Cost me about 60 US dollars but it's a 3rd limb as far as i'm concerned.
Beyond

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Capristor Reply with quote

I have ESR meter but capristor has spark gap, resistor, and cap, all in one.
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reliable way to test a capristor. Just about all you can do is to measure it's resistance with an ohmeter. It is nothing but a high value resistor in parallel with a cap etched in a package. The only ones I ever saw was mainly used as an isolation block for tuner/rf inputs to quench the possible spark.
Used to see them all the time where they'd get popped by lightning and cause snowy picture. You could easily spot the burn mark on one side of the device.

No need to look for one if needed; Just look at the numbers stamped on the device as it denotes the value of it's resistor and capacitor---just get a same value cap & resistor & twist them in parallel together to make a new capristor.
Beyond

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Capristor Reply with quote

Thanks

I will give it a try. The capristor is in a Hitachi TV power area (AP52)I could not get a meter reading, once unsoldered I was able to get a resistance reading. There is a second one in circuit and it seems to be okay.
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, then it is strictly used as protection if/when there may be a spike. otherwise a passive component that has no other effect whatsoever

Curious as to why you think it is intermittent! and exactly what is the problem/symptom that leads you to believe that?
Beyond

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repaired a dead set Hitachi 50ex16B AP52 click only I901 (STRM6511) set came on but protection light came on and -27v led did not light, located that fault (See previous post). Convergence IC's were also replaced 3 x STK 4274 .Set played for a short time than protection led came on all 5 green led's remain on. I do not have a service manual for unit. Video/Audio are good and appear normal. I checked the capristor with meter and was open, after unsoldering it I got a reading of 3.6Meg as marked. Although some remote functions do not work IE: On/Off. Any thoughs
vtech

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, not familiar with Hitachi's. Perhaps minnie can chime in & give you some pointers. though I can assure you that "capristor" has got nothing to do with your problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия