electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Battery Operated Polygon Motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
907tec

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Battery Operated Polygon Motor Reply with quote

Hello all, thanks for reading.

I have a kinda crazy experiment that im working on. I am trying to utilize a rotating polygon mirror motor from an old laser printer/copier to create a battery operated laser-pointer beam spreader. Basically I have a small hi-speed rotational motor (35,750rpm) that is solid mounted onto a 3" metal plate with a glued on circuit board. I cannot find a good wiring diagram for the board, and am having problems getting it to work. I believe the motor is made by Panasonic (as they have similar MASQ____ numbers for their mirror motors), though i can find no record of it online. The designations on the back of the plate are:
"11K1208 1K0000B
MASQ8SF3LL 35750rpm
1520NA MADE IN JAPAN"

Does anyone happen to know what it would take to get this motor spinning? When i connect 24v dc to pins 2 and 3, the mirror will spin for a fraction of a second and then stop until i remove the contacts and try again. Sorry, i really dont know too much about electrical theory, only enough to get myself in over my head.

Thanks in advance everybody,
907tec
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the model number of the copier/printer you took the motor out of?
With this information, I may be able to get you the schematic.

HtH
[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com
907tec

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: model number Reply with quote

The motor is taken from a Lexmark t622 or equivalent. I have the Service Manual for the model, but it does not include the info i require. All the SM includes is labeling for pins (i.e. pin4=Lock, pin5=Start, pin6=24v Return). If you have any kind of schematics, id be very interested. Need any konica/minolta manuals?
vtech

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Operated Polygon Motor Reply with quote

907tec wrote:
Hello all, thanks for reading.

I have a kinda crazy experiment that im working on. I am trying to utilize a rotating polygon mirror motor from an old laser printer/copier to create a battery operated laser-pointer beam spreader. Basically I have a small hi-speed rotational motor (35,750rpm) that is solid mounted onto a 3" metal plate with a glued on circuit board. I cannot find a good wiring diagram for the board, and am having problems getting it to work. I believe the motor is made by Panasonic (as they have similar MASQ____ numbers for their mirror motors), though i can find no record of it online. The designations on the back of the plate are:
"11K1208 1K0000B
MASQ8SF3LL 35750rpm
1520NA MADE IN JAPAN"

Does anyone happen to know what it would take to get this motor spinning? When i connect 24v dc to pins 2 and 3, the mirror will spin for a fraction of a second and then stop until i remove the contacts and try again. Sorry, i really dont know too much about electrical theory, only enough to get myself in over my head.

Thanks in advance everybody,
907tec

You may infact have gotten over your head Wink
What you have is a 3 phase servo motor which is designed for precision rotation and is usually controlled by a "servo loop" circuit outside of the motor& it's board. It is not anything like a simple motor and can not be operated without some sort of control circuitry. Depending on the design, for correct operation, there are several requirement signals such as; start,control, lock and error . Do a search on servo motor if you want to learn more.
torbjorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using a brushless DC motor (or 3-phase servo motor or whatever they are called) for a homebrew project, it is usually best to keep the original motor drive electronics with the motor and then figure out how this works, which requirements it has on control signals, power supply etc.

A good idea is to check the circuitry out, test run and perform some measurements on the donor equipment before it is scrapped.
907tec

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do actually have all the related boards/parts. One of my jobs is repairing printers/faxes/scanners/copiers/etc., so I have an endless supply of scrap machines and old working machines for parts.

I seem to have left out an important detail from my original post: the motor has a separate control board dedicated to it. There is the board attached to the motor, and the second board which supplies power/signal through a 14pin ribbon cable. I am HOPING that simply by powering the first board, i can control the second board with motor attached. My worry is that the coded signal originates before these 2 boards, meaning that I would have to power up the main control board (and perhaps more) to get a working signal. A 24v dc signal comes in to the first control board, is altered, and continues on to the motor board through the 14pin flat ribbon cable. Supplying 24v to any of the 6-pins on the first board provides no rotation whatsoever.

Should i take that as a sign that the coded signal will require too many boards/components to replicate? My whole intention is to have a handheld (cordless) unit that produces a consistent laser line of adjustable width. If this particular method will require too much bulk or engineering, there have got to be other options.

Thanks again guys,
907tec
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия