electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Embroidery machine from US in UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robotello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Embroidery machine from US in UK Reply with quote

HI!
I bought my embroidery machine Elna Xquiste in US (120V/ 0.9A 60Hz) and thought that all what I will need to be able to use it in UK - is transformeter.
But when I checked it with Elna technical support, they said I cant use it in UK at all!! But I doubt it... People do buy stuff (like laptops) in USA and use it in UK, cos its cheaper! And some people say that I dont even need a transfometer.
So now I dont know what to do and who really to ask to.
Do You know anything about it?
Thanks in advance!!
Margarita
vtech

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the specific piece and not sure why you were told it can not be done if it is a matter of voltage conversion?
From a technical point, as general rule, as long as the equipment is rated to handle the 220~240VAC, it should be ok. Whether there is some specific reason?--I do not know? Beside voltage differences, the only other thing is the "HZ" rating (60vs50) that can not be altered [personally doubt if this is an issue?]

All you want to make sure is that the ratings are stamped on a sticker or a plate and if NOT, use a stepdown transformer to prevent any damage. So if it ONLY says 120V xxxA, do not plug in to mains without a stepdown transformer or it will instantly burn up.

...May want to try searching for a news or yahoo group that may have more specific info.
torbjorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mains frequency (Hz rating) might be a problem if the machine has any mains powered motor that is required to run with the correct RPM.

In some - but seldom - cases, a mains transformer rated for 60 Hz may overheat due to magnetic saturation when run on 50 Hz although the voltage is correct. But if there is a switched mode power supply, or maybe no transformers etc at all - the mains power is used directly for heaters etc - then the frequency will not be a problem.

One way of solving the frequency problem is to use a inverter (frequency changer), such as is used for RPM control of 3-phase motors. Such units are fairly cheap today, in the UK they should be available at for instance Farnell or RS Components.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия