electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
unlocking centrum gemini 200 dvd player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffayth

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: unlocking centrum gemini 200 dvd player Reply with quote

hi - I bought this dvd player in Australia - region 4 - under the illusion that as demonstratably somewhat intelligent I should be able to follow the instructions to unlock the dvd. I then googled the hack code and got the following. What totally bamboozles me is that I'm meant to download files and unpack them and it even talks about burning a cd - I'm totally confused. This is a DVD PLAYER. It doesn't even record. How on earth can anything I downloac to my computer have anything to do with the dvd player?????????

I thought that it couldn't be that impossible - I'm thinking I'm wrong. EEEEK!!! Please help.

Centrum Gemini 200 (as downloaded)

In order to update your player with a new and patched firmware (codefree, macrovision free), you first have to make sure what chipset and maybe what mainboard version there is.

The info screen tells you the chipset:

1. Press Open, Menu, 7, 4, 2, 0.

2. This brings up the info screen telling you the firmware version etc.

Possible results and options available for each result:

Player Version: STCinemaster 3.388 - Vestel 3.06b9
Driver Version: 401, Build 706-Configurable-1
Region Code: Configurable, All
Drive Type: Type 0-ATAPI, DVS-LDRDSL-710A, LT37
Memory Config: 8192KB SMI, 0KB EMI, 5519
Audio DAC: CS4335-3

------------------

Chipset:

Main decoder chip: Take a look at the line 'Memory Config' and look at the end of the line. This tells you whether your player works with the 5508 chip or the 5519 (like shown above).

Audio DAC chip: Take a look at the last line. It tells you the name of the chip, in this case it's the 'CS4335' and how many of them are present. '-3' means that there are 3 of them (that's the case for my 5.1 player with 3 stereo(2-channel)-Audio DACs which makes 6 channels).

Drive Type: Look at that line. It should be an ATAPI device anyway. Almost every player around comes with a DVS drive 'DSL-710A'. The drive's firmware (not that one of the dvd player) is shown at the end of the line. Here, it's 'LT 3.7'.

If the menu shows 5508 for the chipset (or it doesn't show 5519), then it's bad luck for now. There's no new firmware available for the time being.

If it shows 5519, then you may have either a mainboard maked '12MB03' (older players) or '12MB04' (all the recently manufactured). You may open you dvd player case and look for yourself or just try the update: if you've got massive picture problems, it was a 12mb03 and you have to modify the firmware before you try the update again.

(The version information is printed on the mainboard on right side near the big chip (plugs facing backwards). It may be hidden partly under a label, but you most likely see the '04' (in case it's a 12MB04).)

Mainboard 12MB04:

1. Just downoad the latest firmware version for 'SEG BeverlyHills2' from here.

2. Then download the latest version of the tool abconf from here.

3. Unpack the firmware to a separate folder. You may have to remove the write protection for the file 'hws.ab'.

4. Start abconf. Press load and select the requested files of those you've just unpacked.

5. Now you can apply the modifications:

AudioDAC:

select the right audio DAC type:

AUDIO/dac/{'cs4335' or whatever your player has, see above} then the right count of DAC chips:
(just choose it on the Audio DAC shortcut on the right, or do it manually by changing the entry ba hand: )

AUDIO/dacnum/{'1' or '3' or whatever you have seen on the info screen, see above}

RegionCode:

GENERAL/region/{mark the current setting and click the right butten. Then change the value to '0' for codefree}

Macrovision: (just choose disable on the macrovision shortcut on the right, or do it manually by changing the entry ba hand: )
VIDEO/macrovision/{click on 'disable'}

Misc:
Enable audio output during fast-forward/rewind of cd audio and mp3 playback: NAVI/CDDA/audioscan/{select 'enable'}NAVI/MP3/audioscan/{select 'enable'}

6. Click save and burn the files to a cd-r/-rw. Note that you may have to add a junk data file of about 40..50MB (e.g. any 'song.wav'). This may be necessary because some drives do have problems with an otherwise too narrow data track.
vtech

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with the particular unit but I can tell you that the disc burning process is meant to be done on another CD/DVD buner(like on a computer)
I have done similar on other units and while it is not that difficult and usually works, Remember:

There is no guarantee and always a possibility of rendering the machine useless. Some are pretty much fool proof while others may not be as you are mainly accessing/modifying the eprom content of the player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия