electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Replacing rca jacks on am/fm tuner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Replacing rca jacks on am/fm tuner Reply with quote

Hi

How hard is it to replace rca output jacks in a Yamaha tuner? Getting a good signal on the tuner without constant jiggling the jacks' hook up is difficult. I have a 35 watt soldering iron, silver solder and some new gold plated jacks from RS. I am trying to work up the gumption to tackle the little job myself. The only experience I have soldering is with a few crossover components for speaker crossover networks and have no experience with circuit boards.

First, I might ask what wire or hookup is best to make the connections from the new jacks to the circuit board? I have junk electronic audio components around, maybe I can check to see if any wiring there is suitable. And I suppose the negative terminal of one jack can be jumped (connected) to the other negative terminal on the second and then run to the board from that point, is that correct? As you can probably tell, my electronic knowledge is very very rudimentary. So any instructions on getting these jacks swapped out without causing an explosion when I turn the thing on would be appreciated. Thank You RW
minnie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio shack if need be piece of cake. Screw out the old jack and there's only 2 wires.

Last edited by minnie on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
vtech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rca jacks on am/fm tuner Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi

How hard is it to replace rca output jacks in a Yamaha tuner? Getting a good signal on the tuner without constant jiggling the jacks' hook up is difficult. I have a 35 watt soldering iron, silver solder and some new gold plated jacks from RS. I am trying to work up the gumption to tackle the little job myself. The only experience I have soldering is with a few crossover components for speaker crossover networks and have no experience with circuit boards.

First, I might ask what wire or hookup is best to make the connections from the new jacks to the circuit board? I have junk electronic audio components around, maybe I can check to see if any wiring there is suitable. And I suppose the negative terminal of one jack can be jumped (connected) to the other negative terminal on the second and then run to the board from that point, is that correct? As you can probably tell, my electronic knowledge is very very rudimentary. So any instructions on getting these jacks swapped out without causing an explosion when I turn the thing on would be appreciated. Thank You RW

Correct... you can use the adjacent negative connection & use any wire as long as it is kept short.(If you plan to move the jack in a different place on the chasis requiring longer wire, then you should use a coax type. otherwise use what is already there) As far as solder though, you should rather use a rosin core solder which is used for electronics.

--& there will be no explosion regardless Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. If I run into any road blocks, I may return with more clever and insightful questions? Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rca jacks on am/fm tuner Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi

Hi again, I want to double check on the hook up of the chassis mounted rca jacks. The old jacks (left and right) were formed in a single module. Removal of these creates an elongated opening in chassis. It looks like I will have to locate the new jacks nearby by making holes in chassis for the shafts of the jacks. No problem with that , is there? And so that I have the hook up straight, will the terminal tab on the new jacks, the negative, be in direct contact with the chassis (grounded to the chassis)? Then these same tab points are wired and soldered to the point on the circuit board where the old jacks negative side was, is that right?

Sorry for the elementary questions, I should have taken a basic electronics course somewhere down the line.
minnie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground is ground on the hot side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия