electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Lightning Strike _ Worth Repairing? W/pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
choppahead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Lightning Strike _ Worth Repairing? W/pics Reply with quote

Lightning Strike, Can it be repaired
I have a 2005 Insignia model IS-TV040922 that was taken out by lightning a while back ( I know I should have had surge protection for it). I decided today to take the cover off and see if there was a simple fix, like a fuse that could be replaced. When I took it apart I discovered that there was a fuse that was blown. I replaced it, crossed my fingers and plugged it in. Almost instantly the fuse blew, but before it did I noticed a spark from the doohickey, (for lack of knowing what it's called) in the photos.

My question is, would it be worth my time to locate a new doohickey and solder it in place, or is that just going to be one in a long line of components that were ruined by the lightning strike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

minnie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a moss fet/thermistor. Take it out and take it to a tv repair place and have them match it up.

http://www.cantherm.com/products/thermistors/cantherm_mf72.pdf

Last edited by minnie on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ed_nl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is your friend:

MF72 Power NTC Thermistor
Quote:

Once the circuit is energized the resistance of the MF72 will decrease rapidly to a very low value, power consumption can be ignored and there will be no effect on normal operating current. Using the MF72 Power NTC Thermistor is a most cost-effective way to curb surge current and protect sensitive electronics from damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия