electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
US UK Voltage converter question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Finch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: US UK Voltage converter question Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a hand blender from the US (I am in the UK) and a 100w voltage converter. If the power rating of the blender is more than 100w (I don't know what it is) would it blow the converter or the hand blender? Or cause a fire or some other catastrophy?

Hopefully you will be able to advise me - I appreciate that electricians have a duty of care that I suppose extends to advice they offer too.

Thanks very much!
Ron
minnie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 watts should be more than enough!

http://www.powerstream.com/Amps-Watts.htm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for your reply, but couldnt wuite relate the info in the link to my problem...
I got my gf to check and the blender is rated at 250W. I am not sure what the power rating of the voltage converter is. Is there any chance of it being safe if I plug in the blender into a voltage converter that is rated at less than 250W?
If I did do you know what might be likely to happen?

Cheers
minnie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conversion of Amps to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1 amp * 110 volts = 110 watts

So I guess in your case you shouldn't do it because say it draws 4 amps, 4 amps* 230 volts = 920 watts but then again your down converting to 110 volts but still that would equal 440 watts. As long as the converter is fuse protected the fuse should blow before the blender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия