electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Toshiba 50HM67 Brightness Level Suddenly Changing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr_Zoidberg56

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Toshiba 50HM67 Brightness Level Suddenly Changing Reply with quote

Toshiba 50" Projection HD TV
Model 50HM67
Purchased 6/01/2007

About three days ago, I noticed that after the set has been turned on for about 20-30 minutes, the brightness level began to change. As I operate the set with the lamp in the low power mode, what was happening is different than the normal dimming that occurs just after the set is turned on. What would happen is that the picture would dim just a bit then brighten. It would do this several times, stabilize at the set brightness level for about 10-15 minutes and then repeat the process all over. Changing the preset brightness levels had no effect on this phenomenon. Yesterday, I began noticing that when the TV started this process, it appear to be noticeably darker than it had been the previous day and when it stabilized it was also noticeably darker.

I suspect that it may be time to purchase a new lamp, but what is happening doesn't fit the description of lamp failure in the owners manual. I called Toshiba and they said the same thing, suggested I take it to an authorized service center. Naturally, I don't have an extended warranty, so I really hate to pay for a service/diagnostic charge to find out it's something, namely replacing the lamp, that I can fix on my own. The problem has reached the level of annoyance that waiting to see if the lamp fails completely is not a pleasant option, given the Holiday period.

Is this just an atypical sign of impending lamp failure or something that merits a trip to the service center? Any assistance or direction would be greatly appreciated.
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: dimming Reply with quote

What (if anything) are LEDs on front of set doing?
Do you have new bulb to swap?
minnie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LED's won't blink until the lamp fails. Then the voice "Check the lamp."
Dr_Zoidberg56

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the quick responses. Normal LED action going on at this time. Unfortunately, I don't have a replacement lamp as of yet. Though the growing consensus from other sources is that, while not quite as describe in the manual, the behavior being exhibited is consistent with that of a failing lamp. I'm trying to be as sure as possible of that before buying a new lamp only to discover this is the result of some other obscure problem, which has often been my luck.

The situation does stabilize at times, though the picture is a bit darker than normal. I gather that, if it is the lamp, I should know rather definitively in a short bit of time? This being the holidays, I would like to try and hold off on the expense of a new lamp for as long as possible.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

Gerry
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lamp is not the problem this time, you can be assured that eventually you will need it. Better to buy it now before prices go up.

HtH
[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com
Dr_Zoidberg56

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. That's my plan, as pay day is on Friday.

Thanks for the help.

Gerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия