electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Why can channel output restored by tapping speaker cone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jw24raleighnc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Why can channel output restored by tapping speaker cone? Reply with quote

I suspect I have a problem in the right channel of a '79 Nikko Alpha II power amp (100 watt rms/ch), but I'm more interested in the explanation as to why tapping a speaker restores the sound. Sorry for the long-winded narrative that follows. The right channel sound will intermittently cut down on the bass output a lot while leaving some treble. The left channel output remains fine. There is also some distortion and occasional "broken-wire" hash and spitting during the cut-down. Tapping on the woofer cone normally restores the full sound. I am actually running A + B speaker pairs, but the cut-down occurs on both right channel outputs anyway. I originally thought the problem was in just one of the right channel speakers, but that was incorrect. I swapped speakers as a trouble-shooting procedure and the problem is still in the right channel, on both A and B speakers. I checked the wiring, the connectors, and played the CD player versus my tuner during a cut-down. The cut-down continued regardless of the sound source. The amp has VU meters that indicate normal measurements even during the cut-down, for what that's worth.
Here are the questions-- If the problem is not in the speaker itself, why would tapping the woofer cone restore the sound? Moreover, why would tapping a cone from either the A output or the B output restore the sound for both outputs? Is there some sort of impedance loading or feedback thing involved in the output circuits? I'm trying to understand the mechanism.
If more info is needed, please let me know. Thank you!
jts1957

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Power amp Reply with quote

Can't answer the speaker tapping portion of question, but on something that old, intermittant switches, controls and bad solder joints are notorious for causing problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия