electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Picture size = Convergence? Hitach C57-WD8000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carreirolt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Picture size = Convergence? Hitach C57-WD8000 Reply with quote

Hey all!

Quite some time ago, the fly back on my Hitachi went out. I got it repaired by a Hitachi service repair man. He got it working again and then went through and set the convergence on the TV and we thought all was well.

Well, after some time of watching, we noticed that the picture is stretched. It's not enough to make faces and images appear stretched, it just cuts off some content on the left and right sides of the TV. I've tried the built in "Magic Focus" and that doesn't work. The corners of the "Magic Focus" display are slightly cut off too. The repair man left us the portion of the service manual for adjusting the convergence.

I was curious if this is what I would use to adjust the picture size to the size of the TV screen.

If need be, I can scan the part of the manual he left and send it to whom ever would like to help to see if it's right.

Thanks all!
Lou
carreirolt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: I2C and manual convergence adjustment Reply with quote

Well, I've found out how to get into what I think is the I2C menu. I turned the TV off, held the TV/Video (Input) button on the TV and then held down the power button untill the TV turned on and the I2C menu was displayed.

From what I saw, there was nothing in there that helped me. To be honest though, it was all greek to me. All the other Hitachi service manuals I've seen show ledgable (actual words) I2C menus. Mine is a bunch of numbers from 00 to like 800.

I used the Manual Focus (hold the Magic Focus button untill the TV displays "Manual Focus) method, but it appears I'm not aiming for convergence. I'm looking for H. Posi and/or V. Posi.

It's either that or I keeps seeing things in other Hitachi manuals that tell you about adjusting certain circles in the corners to ensure the edges match up.

I'm lost and frustrated now. I'm currently watching CNNHD and just to give you a picture of what I see, in the bottom left hand corner it says "CNNHD". All I see though is "NHD" and it's only part of that "N". Sad
minnie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a white button in the front of the set. Remove the speaker grill and door.
carreirolt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnie wrote:
Should be a white button in the front of the set. Remove the speaker grill and door.

I just got done pulling off the speaker grill. No white button. Sad

The portion of the service manual I have says there's a "SERVICE ONLY" switch on the signal P.W.B.

Is that what you were speaking of? If so, I wasn't able to locate that earlier today. I had the back pulled off and looked all around the signal P.W.B to no avail.
minnie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far left hand side from the front. You have to look real hard.
minnie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 74 SC01.
carreirolt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnie wrote:
Far left hand side from the front. You have to look real hard.

Is that with the speaker grill off or with the back off looking at the signal P.W.B?

Quote:
Page 74 SC01.

All he left me with is Section 2.14, Section 2.16, and the remote layout. Unfortunately there are no page numbers.
carreirolt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I decided to purchase the service manual and man am I glad I did. There was so much more that I didn't realize I was missing and it didn't feel like I was blindly poking around in there.

I found the little blue button finally. It was tiny! I doubt any one else will have my problems with this set as it appears it's pretty rare. But, just incase, the little blue button is (from the back) on the very front right of the signal P.W.B. Push it once to enter the DCAM stuff or push it and hold MUTE on the remote to get into the I2C service menu.

I tried adjusting the horizontal size and vertical size to get the picture to fit the screen. As a guide, I used CNNHD because all I see is "NHD". After adjusting the horizontal size, I managed to get it to say "CNNHD" but the letters looked scrunched. Also, after shrinking it down that much, I couldn't get the Magic Focus to like the smaller size. From what I gathered, one of the senors on the edge wasn't being saturated by the green lamp.

I decided to ignore the Magic Focus error and assume that my adjusting of the convergence would be better than it could do.

It was fine for a day and then BAM! The green lamp fell soooo far out of convergence. The picture looked like the green was mimicing an O-scope.

I got make into convergence mode and saw how bad it really was. It was bad! And the fact that green is pretty much your foundation when it comes to convergence, it was really bad.

After some research, I came to conlusion that I need an overlay to set this thing back up right. The manual showed the dimensions and the specifications for the overlay, but I couldn't find one to purchase online anywhere. So... I decided to make my own.

I really couldn't find any DIY instructions so I was left on my own to do it and I did it! It was easier than I thought. I used CorelDraw X3, Kinko's, some transparent overlay material, a yard stick, and a Sharpie. It all only cost me ~$9 ( I already had the software and the transparent overlay material). It only cost $6 for Kinkos to print the overlay out on regular paper and the yard stick and Sharpie cost like $3.

I already traced the the Kinko's overlay onto the transparency overlay and today I will be setting it all back up to stock.

The beautiful thing with making your own overlay is that you can add a bunch of extra measurments to it. I added the specified horizontal width, vertical height, distance for blue to be off center, and distance for red to be off center. It's awesome! Cross your fingers for me today!

So, in closing, I'm not able to provide much to this forum technically like minnie or the others but, I can offer my services for overlays. If you need an overlay and you have the specs from the service manual, send them to me and I'll do you up an overlay in CorelDraw X3 and in PDF format (Kinko's can handle both) for free. It's the least I can do for the community.

Cheers!
Lou
minnie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT, it sounds like your convergence ic's are starting to fail. Convergence doesn't just 'drift.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия