electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
power cosumption?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivtec

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: power cosumption? Reply with quote

Hi guys:i bring up this topic because i came across a forum that discussed the power consumption of Satellite Receivers on Standby,and somebody there said that the receivers consume as much power if receiver stays on standby as it consumes when turned on.So i went ahead did some calculations on my 322 receive,and came up with these numbers,i may be wrong on my calculations correct me if I'm wrong!.
With my Fluke 87 measured 0.236miliamps turned on,and 0,226
in standby,

on standby 120v/0.226=530 Ohms,120x120=14.400/530=0.027watts.
turned on 120v/0.236=508 ohms,120x120=14.400/508=0.028watts.

i don't know if these #s are correct, but if they are than the power consumption is very low and is not that bad,if not than this receivers are not green at all,because no matter what kind of equipment they shouldn't waist as much energy on standby as in on mode.So anybody here is an expert enough to refute my numbers?
torbjorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be remarkably low currents. Are you sure that you had your DMM set to measure AC current?

But then, you should observe that if you measure current and voltage and just multiply the numbers, then you don't get the active power which is measured in Watts but the apparent power, which is measured in VA. As most electronic equipment does not have an ideal power factor (the current is not sinusoidal, or it is not in the same phase as the voltage), the active power is always lower than the apparent power.

To measure the active power properly, you need either a wattmeter that takes the phase difference and non-ideal waveforms into account, or a digital oscilloscope and some software and expertise to do calculations from the measured waveforms.

Typically, you can expect that a such item as a satellite receiver will draw between 1 and 10 W in standby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия