electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Testing picofarad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dosyl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Testing picofarad Reply with quote

I have some capacitor to test; they have 27J .3 kv. I suppose that they have 27 picofarad.
I have a capacimeter, but the lower range is 200 pico.
Do you know a way to test them ?
Thank's Question Question
jts1957

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Sencore LC-102 or LC-103 Capacitor/Inductor testers will handle testing that value. Very Happy
dosyl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: testing picofarad Reply with quote

Thanks for replying so fast.

I forgot to say: "Without buy another tester" if possible;
And the LC-102 should be expensive. Very Happy
jts1957

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not once you've paid it off. Got mine maybe 12 years ago.
torbjorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another method of testing small capacitors in the range of some tens of picofarads is to connect a potentiometer of a few Mohm in parallell to the capacitor, and then supply a square wave from a tone generator to an oscilloscope via that R-C network. Usually, 1 kHz or 10 kHz is a suitable frequency. First, connect a known good capacitor of roughly the same capacitance and adjust the pot to get a clean square wave response, measure and note the resistance value, then connect the capacitor to be tested and again adjust the pot for a clean square wave. The ratio of the capacitances is the inverse value of the ratio between the pot's resistance in the two cases.

This is exactly the same method as is used to match a 10:1 scope probe to the scope's input capacitance, although a trimmer capacitor in the probe is adjusted in that case.

If you have an old grid-dip meter available, then another possible method is to connect the capacitor in parallel to a known coil and then check that circuit's resonance frequency with the dip meter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия