electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Reading and Reprogramming EEPROMs on Airbag Modules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eeprom123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reading and Reprogramming EEPROMs on Airbag Modules Reply with quote

I don't know if I got the right forum but here it goes. Does anyone know how to read eeproms and reprogram it to factory specs specifically for airbag modules in cars? I have all the equipment to read and program but the only way for me to do it is if I have a good one in stock. I want to know if there is a way to bypass that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of anyone doing this before. Just stick the module in. No programming should be required unless you're working on a GM product. GM has a lot of business practices that are intended to squeeze more money out of unsuspecting customers when repairs are needed. One such practice, since 2002, is the inability to purchase a good used computer from the salvage yards. There can be up to 47 different computer modules on a GM car, and all must come from the dealer and be programmed by them to the car. This is an expensive procedure and is one reason GM can't sell cars anymore. Too many people have been bitten by their greed.

All manufacturers have gone to computers that must have software installed for the specific application. GM only allows independent repair shops access to three computers, over the internet, because they affect emissions, and access is mandated by the federal government. Chrysler and Toyota allow access to every computer on their cars except the security system, but you have to buy a subscription to their web site and pay a fee for every download. Only Hyundai allows access to everyone for free for every computer on their cars. Is it a coincidence that their sales are constantly increasing?

When you start tinkering with safety-related computers, you open up all kinds of liability issues. Most air bag computers record vehicle data for about 15 seconds leading up to a crash. We can erase diagnostic fault codes, but there is a lot of stuff we can't access and can't erase. The manufacturer can read this data. Some people don't like the fact that the stored data can prove you were speeding or didn't hit the brakes before a crash, but it can also prove to the cops that you WEREN'T speeding.

If an insurance adjuster determines an air bag or anti-lock brake computer was tampered with, he will have a field day, even if the other guy was at fault. Best is to just pop in the proper computer, let it do its thing, and wash your hands of any liability issues. Even not mounting the computer correctly will affect the internal impact sensor operation. The internal sensor must trip in a crash, and when external sensors are used, one of them must also trip at exactly the same time. A slight change in mounting angle for any of these items will affect the speed at which the air bag pops. It could pop too easily leading to personal injury and loss of further control of the car, or it might not pop when needed.

All manufacturers spend a lot of time and money perfecting their safety systems, and you can be sure their lawyers are involved in every step of the process. If there is anything to improve, they will know about it.

caradiodoc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия