electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Playing around with power transformer output voltage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn L

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Playing around with power transformer output voltage Reply with quote

I have a transformer from a junked UPS. There are two primarys and a heavy duty secondary. If I feed 240vac into the main primary, I get 15vac on the secondary, and 24vac on the other primary ( yeah I knows its really another secondary, but its wound next to the primary so I'll call it the 2nd primary, and the secondary is doubleinsulated from these ). I need a few extra volts on the secondary. If I wire the 2nd primary in series with the main primary, BUT reverse phased, I get 18volts from the secondary, perfect. But is this save?
I noticed the primary current was 0.3A just using the main primary, but with the reversed winding in series, current jumps up to 0.6 amps.
There apears to be no heat build up.

Thanks
Glenn Question

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have two opposing magnetic currents, and may burn out a winding or two. If you just wire them in series the output will also drop as you are lowering the turns ratio.
If you fullwave rectify and filter the 15 vac you will have 15 X 1.414 = 21.21 volts no load, Then use an 18 volt regulator, you will have a fairly constant 18 Volt output.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия