electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Laptop Power supply not working after 3 seconds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romullma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Laptop Power supply not working after 3 seconds Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I hope you can help me with this problem, but first of all I have to say that I'm just a hobbyist of electronic (and do not practice too much).

I have a problem with my laptop AC adapter, it's not working any more, there is no output voltage.

I've observed that I get the 19 output voltage only during 2 - 3 seconds after to have discharged the big electrolytic capacitor. After that, it dies again.

Please, do you know what can I do?, what do I need to test? How?

I can try measuring voltages (eg: I get more than 600 V at the high voltage section), but I have no idea what are the normal values.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Marco R.
torbjorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you should not have more than slightly above 300 V anywhere on the primary side of the adapter.

Which make is it? In some cases, laptop chargers use a control signal from the laptop (third wire in the cable) and switches off unless the laptop explicitly demands power.

Most problems with such units are due to bad electrolytic capacitors (look for bulged ends or signs of leakage) or heat damage. In particular, it is common that the glue used to fix heavy components begins to carbonize and then causes leakage currents. In such cases, the cure is to scrape and wash away unnecessary glue residue from critical circuitry. Remember that the glue might have creeped under electrolytic capacitors and other big components, so those might have to be removed to permit cleaning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия