electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
DVD player won't play CD's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: DVD player won't play CD's Reply with quote

Hello, I have a Marantz DV-9500 DVD player and it plays everything fine but CD's. I have changed the laser assembly and still have the same problem. If I tilt the machine sometimes I can get a disc to play and sometimes if I have been using the machine for hours it will read a CD. Once playback is initiated there is no problem playing back a CD. It is just the initial process of finding the TOC on CD's.
Does anyone have any idea on what it is?
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with the specific unit but sounds like you may have a spindle motor problem or possibly some mechanical/alignment issue? (of course if it is supplied separately)
Is the pickup able to travel freely all the way to home position and outward?
May even have a bad connection where the ribbon is connected?
jon R

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some useful info here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/dvd-players/892781-no-cd-playback-marantz-dv9500-please-help.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech wrote:
Not familiar with the specific unit but sounds like you may have a spindle motor problem or possibly some mechanical/alignment issue? (of course if it is supplied separately)
Is the pickup able to travel freely all the way to home position and outward?
May even have a bad connection where the ribbon is connected?

Hi, thankyou for your helpful reply.
The pickup seems to be able to move freely.
"motor problem or possibly some mechanical/alignment issue? (of course if it is supplied separately)"
The unit only has one pickup. Is that what you mean?
vtech

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was referring to was the actual mechanism involved;
ie, When you replace a pickup on lets say a high-end Denon DVD player, you would replace it as an assembly (pickup,sled, spindle gear etc are already assembled and supplied as one part). In that case, the alignment or motor issue is pretty much irrelevant.

I do know that Denon has owned Marantz for some time but not familiar with the specific model

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand now. They both seem to be separate units.
vtech

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of spindle motor is used? Is it a brush type or a pancake (servo) type.
Can you monitor the eye pattern while the unit is NOT reading the disc and is it distorted or there is nothing there?
laser_03

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx300/laser_03/?action=view&current=laser.jpg[/img]
laser_03

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I have no idea. If you would like to look I have taken a photo of the drive.

http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx300/laser_03/?action=view&current=laser.jpg
vtech

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Gotchya.
That is EXACTLY the same mechanism that was standard on numerous Denon DVD players. Used to replace them all the time as an Authorized servicer for them. It was updated several times and although rather reliable, it did have problems with pickup and on occasion with binding spindle motor.
However, due to the needed set-up for tangential settings, It was always replaced as an assembly--NOT just the pickup by itself! Even if we wanted to just replace the pickup or any other part of the mechanism, it was never available?
And you say that you replaced just the pickup? Unless you have a way/know on how to peek the XY settings, you should always change it as an assembly for this particular mechanism.

That being said though, if you are still experiencing the same problem, I suspect that you may in fact have a Ribbon connector issue? (white ribbon)

Try cleaning either end with a pencil eraser and reconnect or better yet reverse it and see if there is any change?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия