electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Trying to repair Sony STR-DA777ES PROTECTOR! error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khnitz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Trying to repair Sony STR-DA777ES PROTECTOR! error Reply with quote

I received this receiver some years ago from a friend who said it had broke and he didn't want to try and fix it. It "might" have been damaged due to power issues during a storm, but I don't recall anymore the exact thing he said might have led up to the issue.

I've had it sitting around the house for a while on my list of projects to get to at some point, and the time had finally come. I already had found the user manual and "service" manual only - this has the schematics, board layouts and parts lists...but no real troubleshooting or service advice in there. After looking everything over the last couple of days and taking some measurements, I found that one of the ICs on the amplifier board was not getting supply voltage. The fusible resistors R4397 and R4398 (10 Ohm, 1/4W, 5% fusible resistors) were open, and that leads me to believe that IC4301 (UPC2581V) for the surround channels) has failed. No other components seem to be an issue (no bulging capacitors, no visually overheated components), and the B+ and B- supply voltages were making it to the other similar ICs (4201 and 4101 - their fusible resistors were also OK).

As all 3 of these ICs feed in to whether to activate the PROTECTOR! mode, so I think that this is a likely culprit and a good place to start to try and make a repair.

Also, I think I'll add heatsinks to these three ICs, as PCB around has discolored due to heat. It might be a good preventive measure.
harrisonkit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it sitting around the house for a while on my list of projects to get to at some point, and the time had finally come. I already had found the user manual and "service" manual only - this has the schematics, board layouts and parts lists...but no real troubleshooting or service advice in there. After looking everything over the last couple of days and taking some measurements, I found that one of the ICs on the amplifier board was not getting supply voltage. The fusible resistors R4397 and R4398 were open (10 Ohm, 5%, 1/4W fusible resistors), and that led me to believe that IC4301 (Sony PN 1-212-857-00, UPC2581V, for the surround channels) had failed. No other components seem to be an issue (no bulging capacitors, no visually overheated components), and the B+ and B- supply voltages were making it to the other similar ICs (4201 and 4101 - their fusible resistors were also OK).

As all 3 of these ICs feed in to whether to activate the PROTECTOR! mode, I figured that this is a likely culprit and a good place to start to try and make a repair.

While I was waiting for the UPC2581V for IC4301 to come in from China, I decided to double-check my findings by comparing measurements for shorts with IC4101. Doing so, I did confirm that I have a short between Pins 15 (VEE) and Pins 14 (VCC), and also Pin 2 (+VOUT1) on my IC4301 - my IC4101 did not measure shorts.

On the fusible resistors, I tried to order these from Sony's support site, but they ordered was canceled a day or so after I entered it, as the parts are no longer available. I also really didn't find a good source online, either. This is for Sony PN 1-212-857-00 . So, I'm going to use 10 Ohm 1/4W 5% resistors I have on hand in my shop, and I ordered some 200mA fuses to connect in-line with them as a combination will sufficiently mimic the original parts.

The UPC2581V ICs and 200mA fuses arrived, so I replaced IC4301, and R4397 and 4398. No dice...the unit still goes into Protector! mode.

I've cheked the voltages at IC4101, 4201 and 4301, and they are all at the values outlined in the service manual.

So now I'm measuring around the detection circuitry for the Protector! mode to try and locate what is tripping the signal back to IC357.

I will post my findings - good, bad, or frustrating - as I try and fix this receiver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия