electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Dell Laptop won't power up, what components should I check?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CptanPanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Dell Laptop won't power up, what components should I check? Reply with quote

I have a dell vostro 1400, that the power supply went bad, and now laptop won't power on. When I connect it with another power supply, the dell power supply shuts off, which I am assuming is a short circuit detection. I have it all apart, but I don't see anything noticeable. How should I trouble shoot this? Attached is a picture of the power input area.

jenniferloopez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't exact idea and fault of yours.But from my opinion you should to take advice from an expert.
minnie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take a meter and see if the voltage on on the jack pins?
Sophronius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Laptop won't power up, what components should I che Reply with quote

CptanPanic wrote:
...the power supply went bad...

Can you provide some more info?

Check resistance PC4, PC93
katieburton12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try this, it sometimes works, unplug the PSU from the power outlet, and let it stand for about 5 minutes, then plug the power cord back in, and try booting the computer. If the computer boots, then your power supply is bad, that is, a capacitor, in the PSU, is not charging, or discharging, normally. If you replace the power supply, have your friend buy a quality power supply, that has a larger wattage output than the old one.
robin_bga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I think you are right to say that there is a short circuit, but the question is what could have caused it.
Ok to prove the short circuit, change your meter to continuity, where when the to tester wire are connected together, it makes an alarm.
When that is done trying testing the DC jack, where the power adapter connects, if it make an alarm, then try to such for any diode that is close to it, like that one that has PQ34. its not a diode but its acting like one and a transistor too.
Or what you can also do is to connect one tester terminal to the ground of the laptop mobo, the other (Red) to that IC (PQ 34) to see which legs short-circuit.
Cheers mate
excellentlab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Laptop won't power up, what components should I che Reply with quote

power supply ic,s
MAX1632/1904/1634
SB3052
SC1402
LTC1628
ADP3160/3167/3168
APW7060 ETC.ALMOST LAPOTOP
[email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия