electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Blown Fuse - Troubleshoot Why
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huntro1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Blown Fuse - Troubleshoot Why Reply with quote

I have a Dual TG28 reel-to-reel tape deck (1964) with a blown fuse (315ma). I am not able to determine the cause and I am seeking help in troubleshooting the problem. I have uploaded the wiring diagram. It has two fuses the first is the a/c line fuse and the second protects the amp. I measured the voltage without the second fuse at 17 volts. When I use a jumper across the fuse holder the voltage jumps to 50 volts. I don't see any burned components and I don't feel any hot spots. I am not sure about the circuit, but I think it might be a/c because there is no rectifier bridge. My knowledge is limited on electronics and seek help on finding the problem. Are there any interested folks that are willing to walk me through the process? Thanks, Robert.
vtech

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1and G2 are the rectifiers and in this case it not full wave (4 diodes).

Where do you measure 50 volt?
huntro1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Blown Fuse - Troubleshoot Why Reply with quote

vtech,
Thanks for your reply! To answer your question, above G1 and G2 in the wiring diagram is a fuse (F 315mA). When I use a jumper cable across the fuse and measure the voltage at the fuse I get 50 volts DC. If I remove the jumper cable, then I get 17 volts only on the transformer side of the fuse. I tried to measure the amperage load at the fuse, but nothing registered using a DC amp meter. At this point, with the power on, the motor is the only component working. The motor is spinning, but the pilot light is out. Note, when I use the jumper across the fuse, then the pilot light comes on. Location of pilot light is at circuit board entry/exit points #42 and 43, near resistor R30. What should be my next step be to find the problem? Thanks for your help! Robert.
vtech

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Fuse - Troubleshoot Why Reply with quote

huntro1 wrote:
vtech,
Thanks for your reply! To answer your question, above G1 and G2 in the wiring diagram is a fuse (F 315mA). When I use a jumper cable across the fuse and measure the voltage at the fuse I get 50 volts DC. If I remove the jumper cable, then I get 17 volts only on the transformer side of the fuse. I tried to measure the amperage load at the fuse, but nothing registered using a DC amp meter. At this point, with the power on, the motor is the only component working. The motor is spinning, but the pilot light is out. Note, when I use the jumper across the fuse, then the pilot light comes on. Location of pilot light is at circuit board entry/exit points #42 and 43, near resistor R30. What should be my next step be to find the problem? Thanks for your help! Robert.

Ok, I'm sure that you know it is not a good idea to use a jumper wire in place of the fuse, either way sounds like you are not drawing massive amounts of current or else you'd notice something would pop

Remember that you are still dealing with AC not DC. therefore if you want to sub a meter for the fuse you will measure AC amps not DC as you stated.. All the pilot light is telling you that the ac circuit is complete on the secondary side of Txformer
Any DC measurements should be AFTER G1 & G2. What level DC do you measure across C1 & C2?
huntro1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Blown Fuse - Troubleshoot Why Reply with quote

vtech,
I will reply to your question about the voltage at C1 and C2 in a few days.
Thanks for your reply,
Robert
huntro1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Blown Fuse - Troubleshooting Why Reply with quote

Hi vtech,
Over the weekend, I made some more measurements for your review and comment. First I measured C1, C2, and C3 without having a jumper across the blown fuse and the power on. I got: C1 0.5VDC and VAC, C2 0.1VDC and VAC, C3 0.5VDC and VAC. I measured both A/C and D/C voltages because I wasn't sure which to use. Now the interesting part. I put a jumper across the blown fuse with the power on, here's what I found:
C1: 31VAC and 21VDC
C2: 21VAC and 21VDC
C3: 50VAC and 35VDC
After that, I made some additional measurements of the transistors: T203 11.5VDC, T103 12VDC, T102 1.5VDC, T101 6VDC, T4 0.0VDC (erase circuit off), and capacitor C4 33 VDC.
In further examination of the capacitors (C1, C2, C3), I discovered that C2 looks slightly discolored and the clear plastic shrink wrap around it was black at the bottom and not tightly wrapped like the other two capacitors. It also looked slightly bulged at one end. What is the function of these capacitors? Filters?
So, what are your thoughts on the source of the blown fuse? What is the next step I should take in repairing the problem? Your comments are appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert
huntro1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Blown Fuse - Troubleshoot Why Reply with quote

Vtech,
Over this last weekend, I replaced the capacitor C2 and tried to play a tape by jumping the fuse again. This time it worked and I could hear music from the tape through the headphones! So, I put in another fuse and turned it back on. Well, in one second the fuse was blown again. So, I guess there is still a problem, but what should I test next? Can anyone give me some clues? I think an electronic component is failing, but not completely gone yet. What to do?
Thanks for your reply,
Robert
vtech

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of a jumper, use your meter set to AC amps. What do you measure when you turn the unit on?
The idea is to determine how much current is going thru the fuse. (remember any measurement before diodes G1 & G2 are in AC). There is no need to measure AC across caps since you are dealing with DC at that point.
Your DC readings across C1.C2,C3 are a bit high, so it is possible that you are still dealing with dried up capacitors C2 & C3. Either way, measure the AC amp draw in place of fuse. Do you have access to a scope?
huntro1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Blown Fuse - Troubleshoot Why Reply with quote

Hi Vtech,
Thanks for your reply. I will get the amp measurement this weekend and post it here. I don't have a scope and I don't know anyone who has one. But, I know where I can buy an old one (1950's model) for cheap (less than $100). What do you think of the EICO 460? Does it have the features I need to do basic testing on audio equipment? What basic features should I be looking for in a scope? Is 10MHz bandwidth O.K.? How about 1mv/div? There are some scopes on Amazon for around $200 new. Do I need any generators built into the scope? Your recommendation is appreciated. Thanks, Robert.
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Fuse - Troubleshoot Why Reply with quote

huntro1 wrote:
Hi Vtech,
Thanks for your reply. I will get the amp measurement this weekend and post it here. I don't have a scope and I don't know anyone who has one. But, I know where I can buy an old one (1950's model) for cheap (less than $100). What do you think of the EICO 460? Does it have the features I need to do basic testing on audio equipment? What basic features should I be looking for in a scope? Is 10MHz bandwidth O.K.? How about 1mv/div? There are some scopes on Amazon for around $200 new. Do I need any generators built into the scope? Your recommendation is appreciated. Thanks, Robert.

There is really no need to invest in any scope just for one repair. For basic audio work, 10MHZ is sufficient. (I liked the EICO models; as a matter of fact I still have an ancient one stashed somewhere in the basement).
Anywayz; Only reason I mentioned a scope was that I like the idea of having "eyes thru the circuit" as i have been using scopes for years. It can be a useful tool but certainly not economical for just one unit. Getting familiar on how to read or interpret signals can take some time too.
A generator is usually used to analyze audio signal issues which is not the case here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия