electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Please help : My Panasonic television isn't well at all!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurLee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Please help : My Panasonic television isn't well at all! Reply with quote

About 3 weeks ago, my Panasonic TV started to switch to standby mode quite regularly and, during the times it was viewable, the picture was ‘squashed and grainy’. I got a bit sick of this so I took the back off the TV. At this point, I should explain that I am not a TV engineer! The inside was very, very dusty so I used a soft brush attachment from my vacuum cleaner and gave it a good clean. I looked to see if there were any obvious breaks in the circuit boards but couldn’t find anything.

Anyway, when I re-assembled the TV, by some strange fluke, it worked perfectly! Until a few days ago that is. The same problems started to manifest themselves. By chance, I happened to be socializing and got talking to a TV engineer who was ‘absolutely certain’ that my TV had ‘dry joints’ and that it would need a little soldering work. He said he would do the work for me but, after calling him a couple of times, he’s either too busy or he’s not at work. I get the distinct feeling he really doesn’t want to do it and I don’t want to push him any further.

My questions are

Does this sound feasible (ie dry joints)?

Is it a big job to fix (I don’t know how to solder)?

How much, on average, would it cost to have the remedial work done by a professional?

Thank you for your help.
jimmy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help : My Panasonic television isn't well at all! Reply with quote

ArthurLee wrote:
About 3 weeks ago, my Panasonic TV started to switch to standby mode quite regularly and, during the times it was viewable, the picture was ‘squashed and grainy’. I got a bit sick of this so I took the back off the TV. At this point, I should explain that I am not a TV engineer! The inside was very, very dusty so I used a soft brush attachment from my vacuum cleaner and gave it a good clean. I looked to see if there were any obvious breaks in the circuit boards but couldn’t find anything.

Anyway, when I re-assembled the TV, by some strange fluke, it worked perfectly! Until a few days ago that is. The same problems started to manifest themselves. By chance, I happened to be socializing and got talking to a TV engineer who was ‘absolutely certain’ that my TV had ‘dry joints’ and that it would need a little soldering work. He said he would do the work for me but, after calling him a couple of times, he’s either too busy or he’s not at work. I get the distinct feeling he really doesn’t want to do it and I don’t want to push him any further.

My questions are

Is it a big job to fix (I don’t know how to solder)?

How much, on average, would it cost to have the remedial work done by a professional?

Thank you for your help.
yes probably dry joints wont cost much to repair easy but boring repair
dolescle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah dry joint it is..
Atom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help : My Panasonic television isn't well at all! Reply with quote

ArthurLee wrote:

My questions are

Yes. (they're normally called cold solder joints, bad solder joints, or bad connections)

ArthurLee wrote:
Is it a big job to fix?
If that is what the problem is, then probably not.
ArthurLee wrote:
(I don’t know how to solder)
In this case, probably yes, it would probably be a big job for you to fix.

ArthurLee wrote:
If just bad solder joint/s are the problem, and the place you bring it to is not crooked or unreasonable, I'd say between 50 and 100 bucks, 75 being average. This is just my personal opinion on a typical solder job that would result in repair of the problem, and based on typical rates at a particular shop that I worked at about 5 years ago. It is not definitive of solder jobs on any set by any shop in general.

BTW, the first thing you should have done after removing the back, is turn it on and tried duplicating the symptom, then proceed to determine if the symptom was intermittent with vibration (tapping/probing), and if so, this would be a good indication of a cold solder joint/s.

shaggy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

i've had the same problem with my panasonic TV (tx-w28r4f)
Cleaned the inside, and it worked fine again.

Until today, it gave the same problems again Confused . when i turned the telly on again, the screen stayed black, and the tv turns off again with a white flash from the screen. and now i cant get it to work again Sad

spent this evening solding the whole thing, but its still having the same problem Evil or Very Mad .

dont know much about TV's, but im kinda broke and cant afford a mechanic Razz

can anyone help me please?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't know how to fix it yourself and can't afford to pay someone else to do it, the only other thing I can tell you to do is pray and hope for a miracle. Rolling Eyes
Shaggy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
the only other thing I can tell you to do is pray and hope for a miracle. Rolling Eyes

sorry, ran out of holy water Confused

i downloaded the electric scheme, got all the tools i need, only need some hints where to look.

im an industrial electrician (dont know exact english word), so i know what electric components are, just dont know much about TV's, i know more about the real big stuff, that's why i need a lil help on this Wink
gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESE SETS WILL GO INTO STANDBY IF THERE IS A FRAME FAULT, START BY REPLACING THE FRAME IC WHICH MAY HAVE FAILED DUE TO DRY JOINTS, IT IS ALSO WORTHWHILE REPLACING C454 IN THE FRAME PROTECTION CIRCUIT, 100nF SMD I THINK, CAN CAUSE FALSE TRIGGERING OF FRAME PROTECTION.
Shaggy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Gary, that's some usefull information. I'll try this. if it works i will let it know. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : ïúòåøåñòâèÿ