electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Sony power control cable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DA1745

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech wrote:
Ok, out of the 17 pins on the cable, eleven pins are used for different voltage/signal levels. The rest , although are labeled as different grounds, are all tied together. Block diagram of main unit shows;
[b]On the subwoofer end (connector CN902) you see the following:

Hello,
My problem is a bit different but after 4 hours of searching (found the Service Manuals for both models, but I need someone who understands this like you... Can the Subwoofer SA-W542 but used w/o the HCD-541 unit.
HCD-541 (terrible unit) has been recycled, but I kept the Subwoofer hoping to (short some pins / or other wise rig it to run as an active subwoofer).

I see that I should have kept the boards out of the HCD-541... but I didn't. IS there a way to activate the SA-W542 without it, similar to shorting pins to get a PCs PSU to start? I see two main problems. The EQ switch that turned the Sub On & off & then controlled the power going to it.

Please tell me there is a way? And that you can tell me how.
vtech

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not as simple as grounding a pin on the PC power supply but it can be done & it may need some experimenting to get the results. First you need to provide a turn-on for the subwoofer that can be done in a variety of ways and then use the "input" pins for the actual audio signal.
Also as there is no "level" controls, you'd probably need some sort of a level control in series with the audio signal.
DA1745

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech wrote:
This is not as simple as grounding a pin on the PC power supply but it can be done & it may need some experimenting to get the results. First you need to provide a turn-on for the subwoofer that can be done in a variety of ways and then use the "input" pins for the actual audio signal.
Also as there is no "level" controls, you'd probably need some sort of a level control in series with the audio signal.
I'm with you on the needing a way to actually turn the subwoofer on. But as for passing a signal along the input pins, I thought that was why this would work. Because the Subwoofer unit itself has a RCA plug input for the Subwoofer. I thought it an odd design (why didn't they simply send all the signals through that cable, but they didn't they required an additional RCA cable to feed the subwoofer itself. So I was thinking I wouldn't need to send the signal along any pins. I was hoping that once I got the unit turned on, that-that RCA jack / input for the subwoofer would actually be all that's needed. Don't know for sure until I can get it to power on.
I used some nation wide searches for craigslist & on ebay to see if anyone had the rack system for parts (no luck) only selling whole units and locally.

What do you think would be the correct way to turn on the sub?[/b]
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much you know about the system?
You see, the "SAW541/542" was not just the subwoofer, it also included the amplification circuitry for ALL the audio channels with corresponding input/ speaker terminals. With analog audio you can not mix the channels as they must stay seperate.
Like I mentioned earlier, powering up the sub is no big deal but you MUST have some sort of a level control for the audio. (In this case it was provided by a digital volume control IC708 on the HCD541 unit before getting to the s/w RCA jack Page 21 of the HCD541 pdf manual).

How much do you know about following circuitry or soldering?
DA1745

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech wrote:
Not sure how much you know about the system?
You see, the "SAW541/542" was not just the subwoofer, it also included the amplification circuitry for ALL the audio channels with corresponding input/ speaker terminals. With analog audio you can not mix the channels as they must stay seperate.
Like I mentioned earlier, powering up the sub is no big deal but you MUST have some sort of a level control for the audio. (In this case it was provided by a digital volume control IC708 on the HCD541 unit before getting to the s/w RCA jack Page 21 of the HCD541 pdf manual).

How much do you know about following circuitry or soldering?
Yeah, I opened it up a few hours before I started researching & eventually posted on this site. I can follow the physical wiring / circuitry fine, and I'm proficient in soldering. Reading a schematic I can do but I do get overwhelmed tracing connections on paper.

EX. If you say solder this pin to that pin, or this pin to that out put on this, as long as I can see it physically or in a picture or in person I can do it.

Or in the above picture if it was connecting pins on that plug terminal that I can do, but I studied the service manual, I can't interpolate how to turn the unit on.

I think that's hurdle #1. Because if there is something wrong with the unit, or I can't make that happen every thing else is secondary. If I can work in steps that's good.
Step #1 get it to power on.
vtech

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am going to show you how to power the unit but BEWARE, as I have said it before there is no level control meaning that once powered on, it will be at WIDE_OPEN settings.
There is a good chance to damage or may even blow up the unit as you go to input a signal.

Power is controled by means of relay RY901. The easiest way is to wire a toggle switch at the connection (BEFORE PLUGGING IN THE UNIT ofcourse)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech wrote:

Like I mentioned earlier, powering up the sub is no big deal...
Would you be able to help me with that?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS ignore that last posting. I had my browser open for many hours, forgot to refresh & re-check...
Thank you very much. I'm behind on my work so it will be a few days before I que that up in the rotation. Very much appreciate this, I hate dumping hardware that's otherwise good.
Colorado1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: JAW 541 Reply with quote

I have been folowing this post regarding the SAW 541 sub/amp. I am curious if anyone found a way to control the volume without the HDC 541 headunit.
naldy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: hcd541 Reply with quote

hello, could get cable for hcd 541 176512111. I'm looking like you and do not get
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия