electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Volume problem with tape player playing in reverse direction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sumdumgai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Volume problem with tape player playing in reverse direction Reply with quote

My first post on this forum and hoping for some advice. I've got a really old Akai GX-370D tape recorder that I've had since the early seventies. And, I have many reels of Vietnam era music that I like to listen to. Eventually, I'll convert these to CD. In the meantime, I've lost considerable (not all) output volume when the tape is playing in the reverse direction. I've swabbed the heads with cleaner but that didn't help. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. If I need to take it to a repair shop, for head alignment or a component replacement, what can I expect in the way of cost? Does anyone have a schematic on this unit? Thanks.
jts1957

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://elektrotanya.com/akai_gx-370d_sm.pdf/download.html

Check and burnish any Head or Record/Play relay contacts. Also chemically clean track selector controls/switches. Even seen plug-in board edge connections cause similar problems.

Once repaired, don't wait, convert before the next thing breaks or fails. Wink
sumdumgai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Akai GX370D output Reply with quote

So do I have to get inside the unit to get to these things? on a difficulty scale of 1 to 3, is this a one hammer, two hammer or three hammer project? Thanks.
jts1957

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to get to the items mentioned which ARE inside the unit. S.M. has disassembly instructions.
Depends on your mechanical and electronics skill levels. (1 = bad / 3 = good? or vica versa?)
I'd highly recommend NOT using ANY hammers (nor to be hammered) if you attempt this project.
sumdumgai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, and thanks especially for the link to the SM.
sumdumgai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Disassembly Reply with quote

I've got the case off. Do I have to remove both the amp panel and the mechanical panels? Thanks.
sumdumgai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Knob set screws Reply with quote

Anybody know what the size Allen wrench I need to get the knobs off?
sumdumgai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Head block Reply with quote

I've removed amp and mechanical panel, and I've located the playback relay. It's on the head relay board that's attached to the head block. Anybody know how to remove the head block?

[/img]
sumdumgai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Head block is unattached now Reply with quote

I removed the head block and pulled the head relay board through the front opening. Now I have access to the relay. How does the plastic cover come off so that I can clean the contacts? Thanks,
jts1957

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing relay from the board - will then be obvious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия