electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
soldering always getting a dull finish, dry ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: soldering always getting a dull finish, dry ? Reply with quote

hi,

i bought a soldering atation and doing a bit of soldering work on a curcuit board,\

however i have noticed the solder once i remove the iron quickly turns a dull grey color?
heard this is called a dry joint?

i have tryed diffrent heat settings as well as making sure the tip is clean,
also tryed tining tip however still get a dull grey finish?

is it because of the solder im useing?

im useing a lead free solder,

someone told me its because i need a rosin cored solder, is this true?

i have practiced on another curcuit baord and noticed one part i heated up it had like a black residue once heated but this would dry shiny.

anyone please comment.

thankyou and happy xmas

jason.
R_ay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt it is the lead-free solder which gives it the "dry look". It is the nature of the beast & will never look shiny like the leaded solder.

Of course most every manufacturer has switched to lead-free solder which requires hotter temps & not very easy to work with. Gets even worse when having to work on SMD pcb's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия