electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Blury unfocused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whatever_works

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Blury unfocused Reply with quote

My newer television after being loaned to a friend for a short period seems to be finished, but I'm not certain.
It's an RCA XL 100 "CTC185AB4".
The screen is blurry and unfocused. Everything else seems to work fine.
Anything obvious that I could to asess it ? I have some experience with electronics but am uninitiated in TV/Video repair.
tsgunnell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the flyback transformer the top control is the focus control adjust for sharpest picture
Whatever_works

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsgunnell wrote:
on the flyback transformer the top control is the focus control adjust for sharpest picture

I read this on another site.
copy/paste wrote:
Nearly all CTC185's that come in with retrace lines (picture too bright), picture too dark and/or picture out of focus condition might just need a minor adjustment. The focus and screen controls on the back of the set look surprisingly very similar for holes for RCA phono jacks. It appear that customers, unknowingly try to plug in their VCR, DVD player or stereo amp to those holes. The center pin of the plug to gets inserted into the potentiometers for either the focus or screen controls. A little twist of the wrist and the control moves and now the TV has a new symptom. If you see this don't look for a hardware problem!!!! This is how the voltages can be so often changing without anything being wrong with the set. Thanks to Mike for bringing this to my attention.
http://wa6ati.com/CTC185.html

This sounds like something my friend might have done. Mabye I can luck out here without even opening the unit. What sort of tool is used with these adjustment holes ? A long slender phillips I expect ?
tsgunnell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes a philips screw driver should do the job.some manufacturers leave holes for this adjustment some mistake them for screw holes to take the back off .one set i saw the owner had almost destroyed the control i just about managed to complete the adjustment .anyway good luck in your endeavours
Whatever_works

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsgunnell wrote:
yes a philips screw driver should do the job.some manufacturers leave holes for this adjustment some mistake them for screw holes to take the back off .one set i saw the owner had almost destroyed the control i just about managed to complete the adjustment .anyway good luck in your endeavours

Thank you for taking the time to entertain my questions.
I appreciate that you did.
All is running well now.
And I actually must appologize. I concocted the story of my leding the television to a friend. Honestly I pulled the TV from a rubish bin as it is VERY new. And apparently the previous owner had in fact messed with the adjusters unknowingly, believed he/she had damaged it and tossed it out.
So I flatened the head of a finishing nail, put a ben on it and readjusted the screws. Tomorow I will download a test pattern and load it onto my Sony cam so i can tune it more acurately
I have now moved up from a 15 year ol 18 inch to a very recent 36 "
I'm sure it's not a unique story but I am happy with it.

Again my appologizes for the uneeded deception.

P.S. anyone know where I can learn more about the value of medling with the service settings ? Twisted Evil
uhoh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: thanks so much Reply with quote

I had this same model tv didnt know what the problem was but this was it! I had to say thanks you dont know how much this helped me out. I appreciate the help guys Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия