electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Isolation transformer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wkyong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Isolation transformer Reply with quote

As an example : A 1:1 ratio and1 primary 1 secondary isolation transformer

1)why we need to bond secondary neutral to earth?what is the purpose of it?

2)if we are not doing so what would happen?will it generate noise?

3)if human body accidently touching any secondary windings of isolation transformer ,would it trip off the Residual current circuit breaker(RCCB) placed at the input primary?
Question
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea? So what?
minnie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Isolation transformer Reply with quote

wkyong wrote:
As an example : A 1:1 ratio and1 primary 1 secondary isolation transformer

1)why we need to bond secondary neutral to earth?what is the purpose of it?

2)if we are not doing so what would happen?will it generate noise?

3)if human body accidently touching any secondary windings of isolation transformer ,would it trip off the Residual current circuit breaker(RCCB) placed at the input primary?
Question

Step up or step down transformers. Cut the voltage or double? Residual what? Bond what? Noise, use a rc or rl filter. Get real!
torbjorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The purpose of this is that a RCCB connected on the secondary side of the insulation transformer shall have a possibility to trip, and to ensure that a primary RCCB or fuse will trip in case of a fault within the transformer. Whether a such bonding is required, optional or prohibited depends on the local electrical codes and the exact application of the transformer, so it is impossible to answer without having more facts in the case. The best is to study the codes and ordinances that are valid in your area.

2) If the transformer has a high degree of capacitive coupling between primary and secondary (both windings concentrically on the same bobbin and no grounded screen between them), then high-frequency noise can be coupled from the mains to the secondary winding. If the transformer is of a such design and you have to avoid grounding the secondary, then make sure that the end of the primary winding that is nearest the secondary, is connected to the mains neutral.

3) No. If you want a good personal protection (for instance, if the isolation transformer is to be used at a workbench where power supplies are troubleshooted and repaired), then the secondary should not be directly grounded. Perhaps, the mid point of the secondary could be grounded via a high-value resistor (1 Mohm or so) to avoid static charging.
PackratKing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Iso-Trans Reply with quote

OK maybe the Packrat is shooting himself in the foot.

I have several really nice identical isol. trans., one feature of which, puzzled me.
Out the bottom is a green wire, from between pri / sec, with no continuity to any other lead or the laminations.

Is there something in there burnt out ? or is it as torbjorn suggested, a grounded plate to defeat capacitive coupling. -- I'd hate to have to relegate them to copper scrap !

Windings: 5 equal voltage taps off the secondary, and a honkin' Very Happy high-amp winding, about 50 turns of #10 ! voltage as yet unk.

Lamination stack is roughly 5 x 6 " x 2" thick, whole unit approx 20 lbs.
vtech

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Iso-Trans Reply with quote

PackratKing wrote:
OK maybe the Packrat is shooting himself in the foot.

I have several really nice identical isol. trans., one feature of which, puzzled me.
Out the bottom is a green wire, from between pri / sec, with no continuity to any other lead or the laminations.

Is there something in there burnt out ? or is it as torbjorn suggested, a grounded plate to defeat capacitive coupling. -- I'd hate to have to relegate them to copper scrap !

EXACTLY. a grounded plane used to defeat the inherent capacitance between the primary & secondary windings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: HUGE sigh of relief ! Reply with quote

I was bordering on bummed out, Confused hoping there was nothing wrong with my monsters.. I will definitely make sure this lead is used properly when designing any projects.

In wiring projects, is it "legal" to feed the primary of another downstream transf. off the output tap of the big one ??
I Imagine a common chassis ground, or should I go back to that hot leads' common on the main trans.

Methinx it's time to get out the old textbook.......... Cool

{{ I gotta get cooking on including drawings or pix in these posts }}
vtech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: HUGE sigh of relief ! Reply with quote

PackratKing wrote:
I was bordering on bummed out, Confused hoping there was nothing wrong with my monsters.. I will definitely make sure this lead is used properly when designing any projects.

In wiring projects, is it "legal" to feed the primary of another downstream transf. off the output tap of the big one ??
I Imagine a common chassis ground, or should I go back to that hot leads' common on the main trans.

Methinx it's time to get out the old textbook.......... Cool

{{ I gotta get cooking on including drawings or pix in these posts }}

Not sure what you mean by "legal"?
As long as any isolation transformer is capable of handling the current draw, there is no problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my terminology left a little to be desired.

I am concerned with cascading transformers, where the successive primaries should be grounded, back to a common chassis ground, , or back to the first trans. in the string...?.......
torbjorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see that it ever would be of much use to cascade several isolation transformers. It would just get problems with voltage drop, high inrush currents, unnecessary idle losses and so on.

Whether it is legal or not, i must say that i don't know much about the electrical codes in the US, more than that the legislation may vary a lot from state to state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия