electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Ford radio repair
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpack1234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Ford radio repair Reply with quote

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with the Mach audo system in it. The display screen went blank, but the radio works just fine. Apparently this is a common problem as there are websites devoted to asking for big money for them to e-mail you simple repair instructions. Does anybody know how to fix his problem? The serial # on my radio is UF343213. It also hs another # that may be a model #. It's YL2F-18C868-CA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
minnie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ford radio repair Reply with quote

wolfpack1234 wrote:
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with the Mach audo system in it. The display screen went blank, but the radio works just fine. Apparently this is a common problem as there are websites devoted to asking for big money for them to e-mail you simple repair instructions. Does anybody know how to fix his problem? The serial # on my radio is UF343213. It also hs another # that may be a model #. It's YL2F-18C868-CA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the light bulbs need to be replaced. Behind the face plate.
torbjorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, YL2F-18C868-CA is a typical Ford part number. The first four digits tells which Ford factory has registered the part number, and the model year when the part was first used. The mid six digits tell what kind of part it is, probably all car stereos have 18C868. And the last two digits are a revision marking.
kenray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: ford radio Reply with quote

is this the radio with both cd and cassette? also, does it have a pioneer model number on it?
wolfpack1234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ford radio Reply with quote

[quote="kenray"]is this the radio with both cd and cassette? also, does it have a pioneer model number on it?[/quote]

Yes it has both the CD and cassette and no it doe not have a Pioneer number that I can see.
kenray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is the pioneer (the model would be on the bottom plate) it is probably bad solder connections on the display driver module.
mud bud

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Ford Explorer 18C868 radio display repair Reply with quote

kenray

Can you provide additional details regarding the required solder repair of the display driver module?

wolfpack

Have you been successful in repairing your radio or getting it repaired? You are correct in that the information on the web indicates that this display failure is common and the information also points to a simple solder repair on a board within the unit but I think not the board that is part of the easily removable front control assembly.
kenray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have repaired hundreds of the ford radios, i repair car audio for a living, you need a soldering iron with a fairly small tip. the module is on the left hand side of the deck after you remove the top lid. you need to remove the module and resolder quite a few of the surface mount components.
mud bud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Ford Explorer 18C868 radio display repair Reply with quote

I just attempted the solder repair. I am experienced at solder work and have the necessary tools. Unfortunately I was not successful.

I now expect to send the radio or maybe just the power supply to someone for repair. Possibly I can purchase just the power supply.

I would like to keep the cost to minimum. Can you suggest the lowest cost option or provide additional information. Thanks
kenray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may not have hit all the solder connections. sometimes you have to remove the old solder and use all new solder. you may also want to check the switch board for bad solder connections on the display leads, every once in a while you get one where the leads are not soldered good or just plain don't go all the way through the board. the display drivers are available from pioneer, but are rather spendy. about 70.00 to 90.00 if i remember correctly. been a while since i had to replace one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия