electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
troubleshoot DVD laser unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuchiman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: troubleshoot DVD laser unit Reply with quote

I recently installed a replacement DVD laser unit for my Pioneer XVHTV520 entertainment system. Upon reassembly the player picks up the DVD spins it for about 15 seconds, stops, spins again for 15 seconds, then spits it out. I have never installed before but am trying to save money since I already have $50 into a repair shop (who couldn't even find the part - so I decided to do myself cuz they were going to charge even more) plus $150 into the part. New systems aren't much more than that! Anyway, is there some type of calibration that needs to be performed or how can I get it to work without taking it back to the price-gouging repair shop?

Thanks for any information you might have!
kenray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did remove the drop of solder on the flexible cable of the new laser? there is a solder bridge on the cable to prevent static electricity from destroying the laser diode and must be removed before the laser will work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenray wrote:
did remove the drop of solder on the flexible cable of the new laser? there is a solder bridge on the cable to prevent static electricity from destroying the laser diode and must be removed before the laser will work.

I did not. There are actually two cables. I will have to look at this when I get home and determine which one it is (or it might be on both?). Thanks for the reply!
kuchiman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: help locating solder bridge Reply with quote

Kenray,

Could you please provide more specific info where the solder bridge would be located? I have inspected the new and old side by side and cannot distinguish a difference. Thanks much!
vtech

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenray is correct about most using a solder blob for ESD protection but, I believe your's is a dual laser pioneer VXX2653 which actually uses a micro switch mounted on the body as a shorting plug(ONLY for DvD discs CD's should play regardless of the switch position)---flip the tiny lever.

Last edited by vtech on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $9.99 and downloaded immediately after payment from http://www.justmanuals.com

[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech-

tried your advice and it KIND OF worked - I could hear the sound, but could not see the picture. Any other recomendations? Here is a picture of the unit I purchased. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks very much!
vtech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
vtech-

tried your advice and it KIND OF worked - I could hear the sound, but could not see the picture. Any other recomendations? Here is a picture of the unit I purchased. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks very much!

Thought you said it was not reading a disc. Not getting a "picture" is something else & can not be caused by laser. Are you getting any logo/menue of the player or not even getting that?
Best for you to register with a name & continue with a name on the forum.
As far as posting pix, you can not just upload it to the forum from your computer. You can only post a link where it must reside on a site like photobucket or similar.
Either post a direct link or use img/img tags like;
[img] ...your picture url...[/img] will show the picture on the forum
kuchiman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: almost fixed Reply with quote

vtech -

I tried different DVD and player works, EXCEPT while watching the video, the video, it would not play past about 50 - 60 minutes. Am I correct in understanding that there are two layers in a DVD? My guess is that the DVD reader was not able to read past the first layer. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason
vtech

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , most are two layers but switching layers is a software related event. Used to be a problem with early generation players & it has since been resolved. Is the laser free to travel out & not binding on the rails?
Sometimes the ribbon cable may interfere? You can slowly push it up & down the rails---must be smooth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия