electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Reset to factory settings - CRT Toshiba TV to fix problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam1971

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reset to factory settings - CRT Toshiba TV to fix problem? Reply with quote

Good Day,
I'm trying to give a Xmas present to a family member. He lives in the country and has periodic electricity problems. His Toshiba CRT Television from 2004 or so has encountered problems, likely from a power surge, but also he only had it for 2 months before the problem started, the warantee has expired. The problem is it keeps having horizontal lines go across the screen when he trys to watch TV from the antenna, this happens immediately all the time, but not just 1 line though, more like 8-10 big ones at all times. So in that sense it's useless right now.

However, he can plug his laptop into the TV and play a DVD from the Laptop and it comes out fine on his TV, no lines. I would like to know if there is any chance the TV could be fixed, so that watching TV with the antenna could function normally, without taking it into a repair shop? Nobody wants to pay someone to be told it can't be repaired.

I was thinking along the lines of having the Television settings reset to factory settings etc. or things along that line. Things that aren't complex or require parts, but that just might do the trick.

Once I found a manual on the internet and entered a code on the remote and that gave a special menu. He and I didn't understand the settings /numbers and eventually we got sidetracked and it was forgotten about.

I'm sorry I don't have the model number in front of me. I can get it, but mostly I want to know if this is likely a TV that should be thrown out? It's hard to through out a TV that only worked for 2 months.

cam[code][/code]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: More info Reply with quote

The TV is a Toshiba 27 inch CRT, purchased in Canada, model # 27A34

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: more info again Reply with quote

I've read more on this type of problem. It seems an easy response is to bring it to a certified repair facility.

Obviously we are dealing with large amounts of Electricity here. It certainly isn't though we've never taken the back off a television before. (though I don't think that's a solution here). But to helpful to me in this situation, calling the repairman isn't an option. The location of the TV is on a Ranch in Rural Canada. Unfortunately this TV is like a Steer. If the steer gets sick, common advice is to call the Veterinarian, but the reality is it gets shot.

If the solution is to take the TV to a repair technician, then like the Steer, the reality is the TV gets tossed/shot/discarded. Should the TV never work again after doing stuff on it, that's fine, it doesn't work now.

cl
minnie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the picture playing an external input?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture is coming from a Laptop computer with a DVD player using, the tv is treated as an alternate monitor. I discussed this with my brother,(owns the TV) and he said that even when the TV has a regular DVD hooked up it is better than antenna television. The TV becomes unusable for watching antenna television (can't say about cable TV as this is rural) but passable using DVDs.
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: New bigger rooftop antenna? Reply with quote

Was the picture EVER acceptable? On each and every "local" channel or are only the lower numbered channels "unusable?" (To produce a GOOD picture: Higher numbered channels require less signal/Lower numbered channels require more signal). How was the picture before ANY "power surge?

(I'm assuming) your laptop and DVD player were connected through TV's Audio/Video input jacks?
[From prior posts: "...better than antenna television..." & "...DVD from the Laptop and it comes out fine on his TV..." & "...passable using DVDs."] (Actually, Picture should be very close to perfect under this condition.)

Try this: Connect a VCR to TV's antenna input connector, TV tuned to whatever channel the VCR puts out on (usually ch.3 or ch.4). Make sure it's playing a GOOD quality tape. (Picture should be very close to perfect under this condition).

If picture is O.K. using VCR AND A/V INPUT Jacks, Most likely the TV is NOT at fault! It's the Antenna (signal strength) that's Bad.

If picture is BAD using signal from VCR, problem lies in the TV. (Most likely Tuner or a B+ source to it).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия