electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light) Inverter Repair.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwaysplayloud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light) Inverter Repair. Reply with quote

Hello I am wondering if anyone can help me with this. My CCFL Inverter (12v, 2 output) recently overheated and malfunctioned. I am looking at the circuit board and it looks like there is a brown discolouration around the 2 transistors in the circuit (marked D1616). Also the plastic case that the board sat on has 2 small dent I'm assuming from the transistors heating up too much causing malformation of the case.

Now to test these transistors I am under the impression the circuit must be powered or is the power within the multimeter enough to get a reading?
There is no other obvious damage to the circuit other than some minor bubbling in spots(all connections are still good) but are there other things I should investigate as well?

Sorry I am new to all this stuff but I am quick to learn and would greatly appreciate any help. I want my interior lights running again! Smile Thanks.
vtech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designation of "Dxxxx" usually denotes some form of a diode/dual diode--not transistors? What is the number on the device itself?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pieces bear the markings:
D1616
A
GC917

Exactly like that. What do you think it is??

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.s. The piece is black and shaped like a semi circle if you view it form the top with 3 connectors coming out of the bottom (also leading me to believe it's a transistor).
vtech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I thought you meant the designation on the board was D1616.

It is in fact an NPN transistor > 2SD1616 in a TO-92 case style and should check out like any standard transistor.

http://doc.chipfind.ru/nec/d1616.htm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! The datasheet that I had was slightly incorrect. The one you pointed out looks exactly like it. Thanks so much for the help!! Smile You're a lifesaver.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh just one more thing Very Happy
Are 2SD1616 and 2SD1616A interchangeable?
I am looking to buy some online and both are options.. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I answered my own question. Smile Thanks again for the help.
vtech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they can be interchanged but I also add that you may have other problems beside the transistors. In general, transistor failure is usually caused by some other factor in the circuit. ..ie, shorted or dried out capacitor(s) can easily take out a transistor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия