electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
12 yr. old 36" Sony TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhhowell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: 12 yr. old 36" Sony TV Reply with quote

Hi Forum:
I have an old 36" high end Sony TV (PIP, on-screen snap shot of every channel), all the bells and whistles. The TV functions as designed, but the picture has lost alot of it's contrast (sorta kinda foggy), is noticeably darker and has a very slight bluish hue. Does this sound like lack of high voltage, weak picture tube or what? I assume a new picture tube (if even available) would still require a setup by a qualified tech. Is this worth the time and money to get working properly.
Thanks for any and all advise,
Jim
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the model number is?

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony Trinitron
KV-37XBR48M
jts1957

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorta, Kinda Reply with quote

Test the Tube. Rejuve / Adjust as necessary.
If CRT is OK, Did problem slowly develop, or one day fine at turn off ... next time turned on picture is as you describe?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not have a means of testing the CRT nor do I know how to rejuv. it. This problem developed slowly...over the last 3 or 4 years. I've looked on line for CRT's and they apear non-existent.
Jim
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based upon your answers to my questions, there is a very good likelyhood that the picture tube is at fault.

I've seen it many times. Most likely was used with contrast (picture) & brightness controls at or near their Maximums throughout set's life. (Manufacturer's that preset Picture control at Maximum, don't help).

Sort of like the guy who drives his car with the accelerator "floored" most of the time wondering how come he gets lousy gas mileage.
jhhowell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jts1957...thanks again!
In calling around to the local repair shops, I'm being told that because it's a SONY Trinitron, the CRT cannot be rejuvinated. Is there a pot /variable resistor that can be "cranked up" to increase the high voltage?
Jim
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on who's doing the rejuving and what they are using to rejuve it with.
It is NOT an exact science. Some CRTs take the rejuve, some you make worse.

Even if there were (for example, increasing the b-plus for horizonal output), it would not be a good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия