electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Sony DAV-FC7 DVD player wont run

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xtech

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Sony DAV-FC7 DVD player wont run Reply with quote

Hello,

I am working with a Sony DAV-FC7 DVD player/receiver. (the model and serial tag says HCD-FC7)

The unit will power up but wont play DVDs. There's currently one stuck in the deck right now, and the unit wont eject it. When I try to shut the unit off it flashes "standby" continuously. As I understand it this has been a big problem with these units, but this is the first one of this particular model that I have run across. I can repair the unit but I'm looking for some information that will assist me in troubleshooting it. I figure that one of the others here has already ran into this and can direct me to which components I need to focus on and tell me if there any service bulletins for this unit.

Any help appreciated,
Thank you
jts1957

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you've read: http://www.fixya.com/support/t253613-fac_fc7_dvd_player_locked_standby
vtech

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while & strictly working from memory;

I use to see this on a daily basis and am rather familiar with the problem. Yes, there were bulletins. Unfortunately I no longer have access to them but I can give you the following information; I will add that while it is not a very difficult task, it is a bit involved dismantling and if you are not good at working around SMD, it is best to let an Authorized servicer handle it.

When there are no mechanical problems(binding/etc), the main issue is related with the system processor IC 206 (marked ZIVA under the heatsink plate) on the earlier models.
It is a 208 pin, fine-pitch busy processor that tends to lock up due to a noisy bus clock line. This was on certain batch of them which translated in to a flashing "standby" in display. Depending on the amount of signal noise you could plug/unplug the unit and restore the operation but it would lock up again.
Initially, you could look for a certain letter/digit on the IC for verification but, in my experience, it was not always the case. So I would add the modification--if it was not already done.(apparent added resistor next to IC). Another way to verify the noisy clock was to view the pulse on a 60Meg or higher scope.

The remedy was to add a 1k resistor between reset pin(202) and bus clock pin(203) to solve the noise issue. On said units, you would need to slightly lift the bus-clock pin to gain enough soldering room---be super careful as the pin can easily brake off. At some point later, the modification was incorporated on the PC board.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jts1957 wrote:
Don't know if you've read:

Yes, I seen that a few days ago.
This unit definitely has a problem that extends down to the
component level.
Xtech

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech wrote:
Been a while & strictly working from memory;

I use to see this on a daily basis and am rather familiar with the problem. Yes, there were bulletins. Unfortunately I no longer have access to them but I can give you the following information; I will add that while it is not a very difficult task, it is a bit involved dismantling and if you are not good at working around SMD, it is best to let an Authorized servicer handle it.

Thanks for the reply,
I can handle the actual repair. A customer brought this to me
for service, given the number of these units that have been repaired
for the same issue it simply made more sense for me to seek the
advise of another tech who has had experience with this particular
model.

Quote:
When there are no mechanical problems(binding/etc), the main issue is related with the system processor IC 206 (marked ZIVA under the heatsink plate) on the earlier models.
It is a 208 pin, fine-pitch busy processor that tends to lock up due to a noisy bus clock line. This was on certain batch of them which translated in to a flashing "standby" in display. Depending on the amount of signal noise you could plug/unplug the unit and restore the operation but it would lock up again.
Initially, you could look for a certain letter/digit on the IC for verification but, in my experience, it was not always the case. So I would add the modification--if it was not already done.(apparent added resistor next to IC). Another way to verify the noisy clock was to view the pulse on a 60Meg or higher scope.

The remedy was to add a 1k resistor between reset pin(202) and bus clock pin(203) to solve the noise issue. On said units, you would need to slightly lift the bus-clock pin to gain enough soldering room---be super careful as the pin can easily brake off. At some point later, the modification was incorporated on the PC board.

The first time I ran the player to check it I just locked up. Now when
I power the unit up the dvd player does not work at all. The other functions (such as the tuner) seem to work fine however when I switch it
to dvd the display on the front goes dark. There's no graphics
on the TV screen either. Then when I attempt to turn off the
power it flashes standby continuously until I actually unplug the unit.

It acts as if something is keeping power from reaching a certain
area of the board.

Will the update you posted correct this or is there perhaps something in addition to what you posted that needs to be addressed?

Thanks,
vtech

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are describing is identical to the issue which only affected the DVD operation cycle but I can not tell you for sure if there has been any change since 2007.

If it did not have the mod, I had a 98 percent success rate in fixing the lockup issue( for verification,you could easily spot the added resistor next to the IC OR follow the pin/ trace pattern OR use a scope to view the distorted square wave on pin203.)

There was also something about the last digit or number printed on the ZIVA IC ... I just don't recall the details?

Btw, on the affected units, you would notice that pin 203 (bus clock) is only soldered to a tiny dummy trace underneath hence a need to lift for resistor connection.
Xtech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

vtech wrote:
What you are describing is identical to the issue which only affected the DVD operation cycle but I can not tell you for sure if there has been any change since 2007.

If it did not have the mod, I had a 98 percent success rate in fixing the lockup issue( for verification,you could easily spot the added resistor next to the IC OR follow the pin/ trace pattern OR use a scope to view the distorted square wave on pin203.)

There was also something about the last digit or number printed on the ZIVA IC ... I just don't recall the details?

Btw, on the affected units, you would notice that pin 203 (bus clock) is only soldered to a tiny dummy trace underneath hence a need to lift for resistor connection.

I performed the modification as you suggested and so far
the unit is running ok.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия